When you sign up for one of our cyber security programs at University of Maryland University College, you join an elite group poised to take advantage of a fast-growing job market offering high-paying careers.
Unlock Your Career Potential with an Online Cyber Security Degree
Why Study Cyber Security at UMUC
- Where the jobs are: Maryland's cyber security network includes 12 major military installations; 400 federal, academic, and private research centers; and 50 federal agencies. The state has more than 19,000 cyber security job openings.
- At the epicenter of cyber security: UMUC is headquartered between the DoD's Cyber Command in Maryland and the Cyber Corridor in Virginia.
- Cutting-edge curriculum: Our cyber security curriculum is continually updated and designed with input from leading employers and cyber security experts.
- Taught by faculty in the know: Many UMUC cyber security faculty members are experts in the field, providing you access to industry leaders.
- Globally-ranked cyber security team: The UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team provides students with real-world experience and networking opportunities.
Cybersecurity Program Recognition
UMUC has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance and Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security and as a National Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence by the Defense Cyber Crime Center Academic Cyber Curriculum Alliance.
The only security that we've actually achieved in cyber security is job security.
Gerald "Chip" Willard
Senior Technical Leader, National Security Agency
Since 2010, more than 4,000 UMUC students have graduated with a degree in cybersecurity. Now, we are preparing the next generation of leaders with more than 8,000 students currently enrolled in the program.
Maryland has a phenomenal ecosystem. With our unique cluster of cyber-related government, academic, and business entities, we have the building blocks to be a dominant player in the cyber security industry.
Cyber Development Director, Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development
Not only am I in a very hot field, I'm also in a good company where I feel secure, and I like what I'm doing a lot. And I feel like I'm [adding] value not just to myself but to the country and to the government…. I'm heading in the right direction for my career.
Cybersecurity Consultant, Deloitte
Master of Business Administration
Cybersecurity Management and Policy Master's Degree
Alum Kwasi Robinson talks about what winning a cybersecurity competition meant to him.
In Washington, D.C., especially, I think the unemployment rate for cyber security specialists is less than zero. They’re in great demand. And that’s true not just for government but for industry as well.
Former Vice President of U.S. Public Sector Cybersecurity Practice, HP Enterprise Services
Alumna Jean Costello talks about what it feels like to be in-demand in the field of cybersecurity.
After a brief stint as a technical recruiter for cyber security positions, I thought to myself, 'I could do this.' UMUC had recently started the cyber security master's program, and I figured it would be a great opportunity for me to get into the field.
Applications Engineer, Ultra Electronics
Business Administration Bachelor's Degree
Cybersecurity Technology Master's Degree
Alum James Sobel speaks about the high quality of UMUC's cybersecurity programs.
UMUC is wired systemically into every part of CyberMaryland…. They have really become an epicenter or a proxy to connect students to the organizations, Annapolis, and, ultimately, the end jobs that they’re taking as a result of their education with UMUC.
Award-Winning Students & Program Achievements
- 1st Place | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | Symantec CTF at B-Sides DC | 2016
- Silver Award | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | National Cyber Analyst Challenge | 2016
- UPCEA Mid-Atlantic Region Outstanding Program Award | UMUC Master of Science in Data Analytics program | University Professional and Continuing Education Association, Mid-Atlantic Region | 2016
- National Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence | U.S. Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center | 2015
- 1st place | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | Cyber DiploHack | 2015
- National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance and Cyber Defense Education | National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security | 2015
- 1st place | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | Global Cyberlympics | 2014
- 1st place | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | North American Cyberlympics | 2014
- 1st place | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | Maryland Cyber Challenge | 2014
- 1st place, Worldwide Overall Undergraduate Division | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center Digital Forensics Challenge | 2013
- 1st place, Collegiate and Pro Divisions | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | Maryland Cyber Challenge | 2013
- 2nd place | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | Global Cyberlympics | 2012
- 1st place | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | North American Cyberlympics | 2012
- 1st place | UMUC Cyber Padawans competition team | Maryland Digital Forensics Investigation Challenge | 2012
Cyber Security Quick Facts
Center for Security Studies
The Center for Security Studies at UMUC provides educational resources, networking, and career training opportunities for working professionals pursuing cyber security education. Learn more about the Center for Security Studies by visiting the Administration section.