Certificate in Applied Behavioral and Social Sciences
This program is no longer accepting new applications.
As part of its ongoing curriculum review and refresh to better serve its students, UMUC has eliminated some of its undergraduate certificate programs. Current students have been contacted to ensure timely completion of the program or to discuss alternative programs of interest.
If you are enrolled in this program, please use the curriculum requirements below to track your success as you complete your certificate. Contact your academic advisor if you have any questions.
Also available online
The certificate in applied behavioral and social sciences is designed to provide a range of skills and knowledge in the behavioral and social sciences. The key ideas and methods of various disciplines within the behavioral and social sciences are explored to gain an understanding of contemporary social and cultural issues. Focus is on practical applications. The certificate is useful for students seeking career opportunities and/or graduate study in social work, human services, and public health. With appropriate selection of courses, this certificate may be completed while pursuing the Bachelor of Science in social science.
Note: Courses may be applied to only one certificate; some prerequisites may need to be fulfilled before beginning certificate courses.
Three required courses:
- PSYC 100 Introduction to Psychology (3)
- BIOL 160 Human Biology (3)
- PSYC 351 Lifespan Development (3)
A statistics course chosen from the following: 3
- STAT 200 Introduction to Statistics
- STAT 225 Introduction to Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
- STAT 230 Introductory Business Statistics
A supporting elective chosen from the following: 3
- ANTH 350 Health, Illness, and Healing
- BEHS 320 Disability Studies
- BEHS 343 Parenting Today
- BEHS 364 Alcohol in U.S. Society
- BEHS 453 Domestic Violence
- GERO 306 Programs, Services, and Policies
- PSYC 300 Research Methods in Psychology
- PSYC 432 Introduction to Counseling Psychology
- A Cooperative Education internship in the social sciences (ANTH, BEHS, GERO, PSYC, or SOCY 486A)
A second supporting elective chosen from the above list: 3
Total credits for certificate in Applied Behavioral and Social Sciences: 18
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.