Gain the skills and knowledge you need to design and operate the cloud computing platforms that will dominate the future.
The graduate program in cloud computing architecture is designed to equip you with the technical and management skills to effectively design, operate, and maintain cloud computing systems and help organizations transition to cloud-based solutions. You will learn to strategically transform an organization's current infrastructure to one that efficiently delivers valuable services via the cloud.
Through a broad understanding of business processes—including financial management, procurement, and communications—you will be able to design effective cloud environments and, ultimately, become a strong asset in any organization.
These program requirements are for students who enroll in the 2018–2019 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit the catalog archive in the Current Students section.
About the Cloud Computing Architecture Master's Degree
Coursework in the cloud computing architecture master’s degree program features emerging topics in the field and offers students opportunities to work with cloud technologies in hands-on applications.
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Explain cloud computing concepts and applicable benefits to business stakeholders
- Evaluate and assess the impact of cloud computing on service management
- Design effective cloud computing solutions that take into account an organization's structure, communications, and operational business processes, including financial management and cost model implications
- Manage the process of migrating and transitioning to a cloud environment
- Implement cloud computing architecture solutions that address cloud security and compliance fundamentals, deployment automation and elastic sizing of environments, and multi-tenant implications
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of legacy IT systems and evaluate the value of transitioning to the cloud
- Determine the business requirements of an organization to guide the planning for a new cloud-based infrastructure
- Assess the capabilities of contractors and their services in the cloud ecosystem
- Design a new cloud-based network architecture for an organization
- Create and execute a project management plan to transition from the legacy system to the cloud-based system
- Manage the cloud-based system to keep it secure and operating at optimal capacity
Cloud Computing Architecture Master's Degree Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
- DCL 600
- CCA 610
- CCA 620
- CCA 630
- CCA 640
- CCA 670
All courses must be taken in the order listed.
You must complete each course with a grade of B or better to advance to the next course. The grade of C is not available for these courses.
The courses in this program will have seven-day and 60-day options for the grade of Incomplete.
- You must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher at all times.
- All degree requirements must be fulfilled within five consecutive years.
- Any transfer credits must have been earned within the five-year time frame to be applied toward a graduate degree.
This program is designed to help prepare you for positions in cloud computing, computer network architecture, network and computer systems administration, information technology project management, and computer systems analysis.
Experience Recommended for Success in the Program
We recommend academic and/or professional experience in information technology. If you need to improve your computing skills, we recommend you take ASC 605 before beginning this program. We recommend ASC 601 if you'd like to improve your graduate writing skills.
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Cloud engineer
- Senior cloud architect
- Senior network analyst
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- Computer Sciences Corporation
- Juniper Networks
Frequently Asked Questions About the Program
This program is open to anyone. While you do not need a specific background in IT, it is certainly very helpful. If you do not have a background in IT, it is strongly recommended that you take ASC 605, our noncredit preparation course in information technology. This will give you a foundation that will help you succeed in the program.
We recommend ASC 601 if you'd like to improve your graduate writing skills.
The Master of Science in cloud computing architecture is geared toward those who want to design, implement, and manage cloud-based computer systems.
This program will help you develop your skills and competencies in the analysis and design of cloud-based computer systems. The program focuses on cloud technologies, applications, and design of cloud platforms. It will require that you become adept with computer, network, and cloud technologies at a high level.
You will need to complete extensive online labs throughout this program.
To complete the labs, you will need a minimum Internet connection speed of 512 KB per second and an up-to-date Chrome or Firefox web browser. It is recommended that you have a desktop computer running the Windows, Mac, or Linux operating system. The minimum supported resolution is 960 by 720 pixels and the maximum supported resolution is 2560 by 1600 pixels.