Master of Science in Data Analytics
In today’s increasingly competitive marketplace, organizations need individuals with the requisite skills to transform the growing amount of industry, product, and customer (behavior) data into actionable information to support strategic and tactical decision making. The Master of Science (MS) in Data Analytics is designed to meet the rising need for highly skilled professionals who can transform the growing amount of data confronting all organizations into usable information for use by their decision makers. Students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience with a variety of analytical tools available for the purpose of structuring large data sets to unearth hidden information to allow their organizations to build and sustain a long-term competitive advantage. The curriculum covers sophisticated software tools and functions such as data mining, predictive modeling, and visual analytics using large data sets.
The program is designed to help students
- Design and implement databases, dimensional models, and data warehousing strategies.
- Transform large data sets into actionable information in an easy-to-understand format to support organizational decision making through the use of advanced analytical tools.
- Manage the quality, security, and privacy of data relevant to an organization to enhance its value.
- Manage data analytics projects to ensure delivery of a successful data analytics initiative throughout its life cycle.
- Apply advanced methods of data warehousing and data mining in a variety of organizational environments.
- Assess alternative approaches and infrastructures for implementing big data analytics.
- Evaluate the appropriate methods and tools for data analysis in specific organizational contexts, including selecting a modeling approach, building a model using appropriate tools, validating the model, and deploying the model for prediction and analysis.
- Develop experience tackling industry- and organization-specific problems and challenges using advanced analytics and computational methods.
The MS in Data Analytics requires completion of 36 credits in program coursework, including a 6-credit practicum.
To be admitted to the data analytics program, students must:
Submit official transcripts indicating completion of at least a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited degree-granting university or college.
And meet one of the following criteria.
Coursework (200-level or higher) in linear algebra, calculus, discrete mathematics, probability, statistics, hypothesis testing, estimation, computer programming, data structures, database development, or data mining from a regionally accredited college or university (official transcript required) with a minimum grade of B
Hold one of the following industry certifications:
- IBM certification in Cognos, Risk Analytics, or SPSS
- SAS certification in Foundation, Analytics, Administration, Data Management, or Enterprise Business Intelligence
- Microsoft certification (e.g., MCITP, MCSA, MCSE, MCSM, MCDBA)
- Certified Business Intelligence Professional
- Certified Analytics Professional
- Certified Data Management Professional
- Certified Health Data Analyst
- A score in the 75th percentile on the quantitative section of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT)
Students who have not had any recent programming coursework, or who have experience in old programming languages such as COBOL or PRG, are strongly encouraged to take UCSP 635 and UCSP 636 prior to taking any DATA courses.
- Data analytics specialist
- Data analyst
- Business intelligence analyst
- Business analyst
- Marketing analyst
Initial Requirement to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0)
Courses must be taken in the order listed.
Required Main Courses
- DATA 610 Decision Management Systems (6)
- DATA 620 Data Management and Visualization (6)
- DATA 630 Data Mining (6)
- DATA 640 Predictive Modeling (6)
- DATA 650 Big Data Analytics (6)
Required Practicum Course
- DATA 670 Data Analytics Practicum (6)
Master of Science in Data Analytics / Master of Business Administration
If you began this program prior to fall 2016 and maintained continuous enrollment, you may be able to add a Master of Business Administration and earn a dual degree. You must complete all requirements for the first degree before beginning the MBA. Please contact an advisor at 855-655-UMUC (8682) to establish a plan for completing the dual degree.
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.
Affordable State Tuition Rates
NUTN Network Award Finalist
The National University Technology Network awards review committee has selected the M.S. in Data Analytics as a finalist for the 2016 Distance Education Innovation Award.
UMUC Named Among Top Online Schools for Data Analytics
ValueColleges.com, an online source for information on affordable college education, has ranked UMUC among its Top 50 Best Value Online Big Data Programs of 2016.
With just a few additional courses, you can enhance the power of your MS in Data Analytics by pursuing a second degree in the following areas:
- Master of Business Administration
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.