The recent rapid growth of distance education—and e-learning—in both public and private education, as well as in the training sectors, has created an enormous demand for qualified professionals. Get the comprehensive, practical knowledge you need to lead the distance education enterprise within educational, business, government, and non-profit organizations.
Overview of Specializations
This program offers three specializations:
Doctoral Option at the University of Oldenberg
The University of Oldenburg in Germany and UMUC have signed a Memorandum of Understanding that offers a doctoral option to a small selection of Master of Distance Education and E-Learning (MDE) graduates. Learn more about the doctoral option at the University of Oldenburg.
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Develop and communicate a mission and vision for the implementation of distance education within an organization
- Function effectively as leader, manager and team member within a distance education or training organization
- Develop strategic goals and business plans for distance education within an organization
- Analyze and recommend an organizational distance education technology plan, and manage the implementation of that technology in distance delivery
- Design, implement, and assess the necessary support services for a distance education program
Graduates will develop competencies in the following areas within the distance education field:
- Organizational and management processes
- Leadership and change management
- Information technology
- Business development, strategic action planning, problem solving, ethics, and social responsibility
The curriculum requires 36 credits of coursework and is divided into 15 credits of required program core coursework, and 21 credits of required coursework, including a 3-credit capstone course, from one of the program specializations.
The Master of Distance Education and E-learning (MDE) program is designed for working adults who want to complete their degree without interrupting their careers, and are keen on enhancing their professional skills and competencies within or moving into the distance education field. Students must have a basic level of computer literacy and be fluent in English.
1 Source: “Recovery: Job Growth and Education Requirements Through 2020,” Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, 2013.
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.