Career opportunities in Instructional Technology and preK-12 education are constantly evolving. All graduates of the Master of Education program will have strengthened their teaching and leadership skills, particularly in relation to technology integration. In addition, and depending on their backgrounds, graduates may find positions such as:
- Teacher leader in a school, related to technology integration. Such leadership could either be informal, as in an expert teacher who assists others, or formal, as in a position of technology integration specialist or staff developer.
- Staff Developer or Technology Integration Specialist at the district or state level
- Member of a Technology Planning Committee, Curriculum Committee, or Grant Writing Team at the school or district level
- Developer of multimedia for education and training
- Online distance education teacher for virtual K-12 schools
Graduates who wish to become K-12 teachers in the public schools and who do not yet have state licensure to teach may need to pursue an initial teacher certification program, based on state or national requirements.
UMUC currently offers cohort programs in collaboration with public school districts, including Anne Arundel County Public Schools and Montgomery County Public Schools.
Note: If you are a school or district administrator and would be interested in developing a cohort program for your school(s), please contact UMUC's Department of Education at 240-684-2488.
Enhance your credentials! Graduates of the MEd program can elect to pursue a dual degree in the following area
Master of Education / Master of Distance Education and E-learning (MEd/MDE)
Students must complete all requirements for the Master of Education before beginning Master of Distance Education and E-learning.
UCSP 615 Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- OMDE 601 Foundations of Distance Education and E-learning (3)
- OMDE 603 Technology in Distance Education and E-learning (3)
- OMDE 610 Teaching and Learning in Online Distance Education (3)
- OMDE 606 Costs and Economics of Distance Education and E-learning (3)
- OMDE 608 Learner Support in Distance Education and Training (3)
- DETT 621 Online Learning and Development in the Workplace (3)