Master of Science in Health Care Administration
The Master of Science in Health Care Administration (MSHCA) program is designed for mid-career professionals who seek specialized and focused graduate studies in health care administration. Applicants will be able to increase their depth of knowledge in the administration of health care services and programs through a variety of courses in general management and health care administration.
The curriculum requires 36 credits of coursework, which includes a 3-credit capstone course, and 33 credits of required program coursework.
Dual Degree Options
Master of Science in Health Care Administration/Master of Business Administration
If you began this program prior to fall 2016 and maintained continuous enrollment, you may be able to add a Master of Business Administration and earn a dual degree. You must complete all requirements for the first degree before beginning the MBA. Please contact an advisor at 855-655-UMUC (8682) to establish a plan for completing the dual degree.
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study.
- DMBA 610 Ethical Leadership in Organizations and Society (6)
- DMBA 620 Effective Financial and Operational Decision Making (6)
- DMBA 630 Marketing and Strategy Management in the Global Marketplace (6)
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- Students must complete 30 credits before enrolling in HCAD 670
- MGMT 640 is prerequisite to HCAD 640.
- MGMT 615 is prerequisite to HCAD 660.
- Students are strongly encouraged to take HCAD 600 and MGMT 615 as the first courses in the program.
- Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take UCSP 605, Effective Graduate Writing (0).
- Students admitted to this program should have professional work experience and/or an educational background in the health care industry.
- Students who have not taken a finance course recently are strongly encouraged to take UCSP 620 prior to taking MGMT 640.
- Students who have not had any recent statistics use should take UCSP 630 prior to taking HIMS 650.
MGMT Foundation Courses
- MGMT 615 Intercultural Communication and Leadership (3)
- MGMT 640 Financial Decision Making for Managers (3)
- HCAD 600 Introduction to Health Care Administration (3)
- HCAD 610 Information Technology for Health Care Administration (3)
- HCAD 620 The U.S. Health Care System (3)
- HCAD 630 Public Health Administration (3)
- HCAD 635 Long-Term Care Administration (3)
- HCAD 640 Financial Management for Health Care Organizations (3)
- HIMS 650 Research Methods for Health Care Managers (3)
- HCAD 650 Legal Aspects of Health Care Administration (3)
- HCAD 660 Health Care Institutional Organization and Management (3)
HCAD 670 Health Care Administration Capstone (3)
Note: HCAD courses are only available to students enrolled in a health care administration specialization, degree, or certificate program or the health administration informatics degree.
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.
1 Source: "18 Hot Jobs for 2015," CareerBuilder, LLC, November 20, 2014.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.
Affordable State Tuition Rates
Make Yourself Indispensable
Healthcare is one of the fastest growing industries in the U.S. economy. More than 6.6 million jobs are predicted to be created in the healthcare services industry by 2020.1
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.