Master of Science in Information Technology: Database Systems Technology
The Master of Science in Information Technology program provides a broad technical understanding of current and evolving technologies in the IT field with an emphasis on moving technology from the laboratory to the realm of business development through its program core courses.
Database Systems Technology (DBST) Specialization
Database technology is pervasive in our society and is considered a core component of most businesses. The Database Systems Technologies specialization will focus on the design, development, and management of database technologies. The primary focus will be on relational databases. In addition to basic courses, there is opportunity to study distributed databases, data warehousing, data mining, database administration, and database security. Laboratory experiences are included in most courses.
The Master of Science program in Information Technology serves careers at the entry, mid-, or upper-level positions, depending upon the prior level of experience of the candidate.
Database Systems Technology
- Data Architect
- Database Administrator
- Data Engineer
- Data Security Specialist
- Data Warehouse Developer/Manager
- Data Mining Specialist
- Business Specialist
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take UCSP 605, Effective Graduate Writing (0).
Students who have taken an introductory computer programming course, or are well-versed in C#, C++, Java, or Python, do not need to take UCSP 635.
Core Required Courses
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- ITEC 625 Computer Systems Architecture (3)
- ITEC 626 Information Systems Infrastructure (3)
- ITEC 630 Information Systems Analysis, Modeling, and Design (3)
- ITEC 640 Information Technology Project Management (3)
- Students must complete 6 credits of core coursework before beginning specialization coursework.
- ITEC 625 and ITEC 626 must be taken as the first two courses.
Database Systems Technology (DBST) Specialization Required Courses
- DBST 651 Relational Database Systems (3)
- DBST 660 Advanced Data Modeling (3)
- DBST 652 Advanced Relational/Object-Relational Database Systems (3)
- DBST 663 Distributed Database Management Systems (3)
- DBST 665 Data Warehouse Technologies (3)
- DBST 667 Data Mining (3)
- DBST 668 Database Security (3)
DBST 670 Database Systems Administration (3)
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.