Master of Science in Information Technology: Project Management
About the Project Management Specialization
UMUC master's degree programs with project management specializations are accredited by the Global Accreditation Center (GAC) of the Project Management Institute (PMI).
UMUC is an approved project management training provider by the Project Management Institute.
PMAN courses qualify for Professional Development Units (PDUs), as defined by PMI. PMAN 600 is a six-credit course and qualifies for 90 PDUs. All other PMAN courses qualify for 45 PDUs each. Students who successfully complete PMAN courses may claim their PDUs at PMI's Web site.
The Project Management (PMAN) specialization provides a strong theoretical and practical foundation in project management. This specialization is designed to serve managers and other professionals who wish to acquire, enhance, and certify their knowledge and skills to successfully design, integrate, develop, and manage projects. Students gain hands-on experience using various project management tools and techniques to successfully manage "real world" projects of varying sizes and degrees of complexity. Additionally, students apply emerging principles and methods in the modern project management field.
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take COMM 600, Academic Writing for Graduate Students (3).
Core Required Courses
UCSP 615 Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- ITEC 610 Information Technology Foundations (3)
- ITEC 625 Computer Systems Architecture (3)
- ITEC 626 Information Systems Infrastructure (3)
- ITEC 630 Information Systems Analysis, Modeling, and Design (3)
- ITEC 640 Information Technology Project Management (3)
- ITEC 610 must be taken as one of the first two courses.
Project Management (PMAN) Specialization Required Courses
- PMAN 634 Foundations of Project Management (3)
- PMAN 635 Advanced Project Methods (3)
- PMAN 637 Project Risk Management (3)
- PMAN 638 Project Communications Management (3)
- PMAN 639 Project Quality Management (3)
- PMAN 641 Project Procurement Management (3)
- PMAN 650 Financial and Strategic Management of Projects (3)
Clustered Course Option
- PMAN 634 or PMAN 600 must be taken as the first course.
- MGMT 640, TMAN 625, or ITEC 640 (or an approved course in finance) and MGMT 650 (or an approved course in statistics) must be taken before PMAN 635. PMAN 634 must be taken before or along with PMAN 635.
- PMAN 635 must be taken before PMAN 637, PMAN 639, and PMAN 650.