Master of Science in Information Technology: Software Engineering
Software Engineering (SWEN) Specialization
The Software Engineering specialization provides software developers with advanced software methodology, design and coding techniques. This specialization is designed to serve individuals wishing to enhance their programming skills in all phases of software development. Students gain hands-on experience performing all functions of building software. The emphasis of this specialization is on implementing software engineering projects within cost and schedule by applying proven and innovative practices.
The Master of Science program in Information Technology serves careers at the entry, mid-, or upper-level positions, depending upon the prior level of experience of the candidate.
Professional roles suitable for program graduates include leading a software development team. Based on experience dealing with clients and management, the next level of advancement would be as head of a development department and on to Chief Technology Officer.
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take UCSP 605, Effective Graduate Writing (0).
The software engineering specialization is designed for students with a degree and/or professional experience in software development and programming languages.
If you have not had any recent programming coursework, or have experience in old programming languages such as COBOL or PRG—we strongly encourage you to take UCSP 635 and UCSP 636 prior to taking any SWEN courses. If you have taken an introductory computer programming course, or are well-versed in C#, C++, Java, or Python, you do not need to take UCSP 635 or UCSP 636.
Core Required Courses
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- ITEC 625 Computer Systems Architecture (3)
- ITEC 630 Information Systems Analysis, Modeling, and Design (3)
- ITEC 640 Information Technology Project Management (3)
- Students must complete 6 credits of core coursework before beginning specialization coursework.
Software Engineering (SWEN) Specialization Required Courses
- SWEN 603 Modern Software Methodologies (3)
- DBST 651 Relational Database Systems (3)
- SWEN 646 Software Design and Implementation (3)
- SWEN 656 Advanced Software Design and Implementation (3)
- SWEN 645 Software Requirements (3)
- SWEN 651 Usability Engineering (3)
- SWEN 661 User Interface Implementation (3)
- SWEN 647 Software Verification and Validation (3)
SWEN 670 Software Engineering Project (3)
Courses must be taken in the order listed above.
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.
Professional Science Master's Recognized in Washington Post
UMUC's Professional Science Master's degrees were recognized by the Washington Post for helping students pair scientific know-how with business savvy. Read the article to learn about how UMUC's capstone projects help our students stand out in the job market.
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.