Master of Science in Information Technology: Telecommunications Management
Telecommunications Management Specialization
The Telecommunications Management specialization is designed to provide the technical knowledge and management skills needed to plan, acquire, operate, and evaluate telecommunication systems. This specialization emphasizes critical management concepts, such as the structure and environment of the telecommunications industry, strategic planning, financial management, and quality improvement.
The Master of Science program in Information Technology serves careers at the entry, mid-, or upper-level positions, depending upon the prior level of experience of the candidate.
- Telecommunication System Development and Deployment Specialist
- Network Security Manager
- Network Manager and Designer for local and wide area, wired and wireless systems
- Information Systems Development and Deployment
- Telecommunication System Business Manager
- Federal, State, and Local Government Telecommunication Managers and Contractors
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take COMM 600, Academic Writing for Graduate Students (3).
Core Required Courses
UCSP 615 Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study.
- ITEC 610 Information Technology Foundations (3)
- ITEC 620 Information Technology Infrastructure (3)
- ITEC 630 Information Systems Analysis, Modeling, and Design (3)
- ITEC 640 Information Technology Project Management (3)
- TMAN 625 Economics and Financial Analysis for Technology Managers (3)
- ITEC 610 must be taken as one of the first two courses.
- ITEC 620 should be taken before any specialization courses.
- Students must complete 27 credits of program coursework before taking TLMN 670.
Telecommunications Management (TLMN) Specialization
- TLMN 602 Telecommunications Industry: Structure and Environment (3)
- TLMN 623 Telecommunications Networks (3) (Prerequisite: ITEC 620)
- TLMN 630 Satellite Communication Systems (3) (Prerequisite: ITEC 620)
- TLMN 641 Network Management and Design (3)
- TLMN 645 Wireless Telecommunications Systems (3) (Prerequisite: ITEC 620)
- INFA 620 Network and Internet Security (3) (Prerequisite: ITEC 620)
- TLMN 670 Capstone Course in Telecommunications (3)
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.