Acquisition and Supply Chain Management Specialization
The Acquisition and Supply Chain Management specialization is designed for individuals who are involved in contract administration or procurement activities in the private, public, and not-for-profit sectors. The courses in this program provide a foundation for understanding both the strategic and operational aspects of the procurement function.
The MSM program prepares graduates for a number of entry-, mid-, and high- level positions, as determined by a student's work experience.
Depending on a student's background and an employer's criteria, graduates of the Procurement and Contract Management specialization may qualify for these positions:
- Contract Specialist
- Contract Officer
- Contract Manager/Administrator
- Procurement Specialist
- Procurement Manager /Administrator
- Logistics Specialist
- Logistics Analyst
- Logistics Manager/Administrator
Students who have not taken a finance course recently are strongly encouraged to take UCSP 620 and UCSP 621 prior to taking MGMT 640.
Students who have not had any recent statistics use should take UCSP 630 prior to taking MGMT 650.
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take COMM 600, Academic Writing for Graduate Students (3).
Core Required Courses
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- MGMT 610 Organizational Theory (3)
- MGMT 615 Intercultural Communication and Leadership (3)
- MGMT 640 Financial Decision Making for Managers (3)
- MGMT 650 Statistics for Managerial Decision Making (3)
MGMT 670 Strategic Management Capstone (3)
Clustered Course Option
- MGMT 610 must be taken within the first 6 credits of the MS in Management program.
- Students must complete 24 credits, including other core requirements, before enrolling in MGMT 670.
- MGMT 640 and MGMT 650 should not be completed simultaneously.
- MGMT 640 is prerequisite to FIN 610 in the Financial Management specialization.
Acquisition and Supply Chain Management (ASCM) Specialization Required Courses
- ASCM 626 Purchasing and Materials Management (3)
- ASCM 627 Legal Aspects of Contracting (3)
- ASCM 628 Contract Pricing and Negotiations (3)
- ASCM 629 Strategic Purchasing and Logistics (3)
- ASCM 630 Commercial Transactions in a Technological Environment: Law, Management, and Technology (3)
- ASCM 631 Integrative Supply Chain Management (3)
- ASCM 632 Contemporary Logistics (3)
Clustered Course Option
- Students must take ASCM 626 as the first specialization course.
- Students must take ASCM 629 before ASCM 631
- Students must take ASCM 631 and 632 toward the end of the program.
- Students who complete ASCM 650 cannot receive credit for any of the following courses: ASCM 627, ASCM 630.
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.