Master of Science in Management: Health Care Administration
Health Care Administration Specialization
The Health Care Administration specialization provides an introduction to the health care industry and is designed for students who do not have educational or professional work experience in the field. While the MSM is designed for students who do not have educational or work experience in the health care field, some previous health care experience is suggested.
The MSM program prepares graduates for a number of entry level positions, as determined by a student's work experience.
Depending on a student's background and an employer's criteria, graduates of the Health Care Administration specialization may qualify for these positions:
- Entry level manager in health services organizations
- Entry level manager in other health care business enterprises
Students who have not taken a finance course recently are strongly encouraged to take UCSP 620 and UCSP 621 prior to taking MGMT 640.
Students who have not had any recent statistics use should take UCSP 630 prior to taking HAIN 650.
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take COMM 600, Academic Writing for Graduate Students (3).
Core Required Courses
UCSP 615 Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- MGMT 610 Organizational Theory (3)
- MGMT 615 Intercultural Communication and Leadership (3)
- MGMT 640 Financial Decision Making for Managers (3)
- HAIN 650 Research Methods for Health Care Managers (3)
Note: HAIN 650 is the required research methods/statistics course for the health care administration specialization.
MGMT 670 Strategic Management Capstone (3)
Clustered Course Option
- MGMT 610 must be taken within the first 6 credits of the MS in Management program.
- Students must complete 24 credits, including other core requirements, before enrolling in MGMT 670.
- MGMT 640 and HAIN 650 should not be completed simultaneously.
- MGMT 640 is prerequisite to FIN 610 in the Financial Management specialization.
Health Care Administration (HCAD) Specialization Required Courses
- HCAD 610 Information Technology for Health Care Administration (3)
- HCAD 620 The U.S. Health Care System (3)
- HCAD 630 Public Health Administration (3)
- HCAD 640 Financial Management for Health Care Organizations (3)
- HCAD 650 Legal Aspects of Health Care Administration (3)
- HCAD 660 Health Care Institutional Organization and Management (3)
- TMAN 632 Organizational Performance Management (3)
Note: HCAD courses are only available to students enrolled in a health care administration specialization, degree, or certificate program or the health administration informatics degree.
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.