Virtual Information Session
Learn about career opportunities that may be available with an MS in Information Technology, MS in Management: Information Systems and Services, or MS in Technology Management: Information Systems and Services. Join UMUC's Department of Information and Technology Systems for one of our free information session:
Information Systems and Services Specialization Description
The Information Systems and Services (ISAS) specialization provides courses on the ways a manager can procure and use computer-based information systems to enhance decision making and organizational effectiveness. This specialization is structured to accommodate the needs of students who have little or no experience with computers as well as those with advanced computer skills.
In addition to receiving a technological foundation, students are exposed to the interaction of technology, organizational behavior, strategic planning, project management, and systems analysis used to support an organization through its information systems.
The MSM program prepares graduates for a number of entry-, mid-, and high- level positions, as determined by a student’s work experience.
Depending on a student’s background and an employer’s criteria, graduates of the Information Systems and Services specialization may qualify for these positions:
- Systems or Business Analyst
- Systems Development Manager
- IS Project or Program Manager
- IS consultant
- IS-Aware General Manager
Students who have not taken a finance course recently are strongly encouraged to take UCSP 620 and UCSP 621 prior to taking MGMT 640.
Students who have not had any recent statistics use should take UCSP 630 prior to taking MGMT 650.
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take COMM 600, Academic Writing for Graduate Students (3).
Core Required Courses
UCSP 615 Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- MGMT 610 Organizational Theory (3)
- MGMT 615 Intercultural Communication and Leadership (3)
- MGMT 640 Financial Decision Making for Managers (3)
- MGMT 650 Statistics for Managerial Decision Making (3)
- MGMT 610 must be taken within the first 6 credits of the MS in Management program.
- Students must complete 24 credits, including other core requirements, before enrolling in MGMT 670.
- MGMT 640 and MGMT 650 should not be completed simultaneously.
- MGMT 640 is prerequisite to FIN 610 in the Financial Management specialization.
Capstone Course: MGMT 670 Strategic Management Capstone (3)
Clustered Course Option
Information Systems and Services (ISAS) Specialization Required Courses
- ISAS 600 Information Systems for Managers (3)
- ISAS 610 Information Systems Management and Integration (3)
- ISAS 620 Information Systems Sourcing Management (3)
- ISAS 630 Systems Analysis and Design (3)
- ISAS 640 Decision and Support Systems and Expert Systems (3)
- ISAS 650 Information Technology, the CIO, and Organizational Transformation (3)
- IMAT 639 Internet Multimedia Applications (3)
- ISAS 600 is a prerequisite for other courses in this specialization.
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.