The Marketing specialization is designed for managers in the public, private or non-profit sectors who need to acquire customers for their products and services either internally, externally, or business-to-business.
The program focuses on the theories and skills that managers need to know in order to attract customers:
- Defining the scope of 21st century marketing
- Developing and executing effective marketing strategies
- Adapting to rapidly changing technologies
- Building customer satisfaction and retention
- Facilitating communication successfully between the organization to the customer
The MSM program prepares graduates for a number of entry-, mid-, and high- level positions, as determined by a student's work experience.
Depending on a student's background and an employer's criteria, graduates of the Marketing specialization may qualify for these positions:
- Marketing Manager (B-to-B or consumer)
- Internet Marketing Manager
- Direct Marketing Manager
- Product/Brand Manager
- Manufacturer's Representative
- Retail Manager
- Account Executive (Business or consumer products)
- Market Research Analyst (Entry-level)
- Promotions Manager
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take UCSP 605, Effective Graduate Writing (0).
Core Required Courses
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- MGMT 610 Organizational Theory (3)
- MGMT 615 Intercultural Communication and Leadership (3)
- MGMT 640 Financial Decision Making for Managers (3)
- MGMT 650 Statistics for Managerial Decision Making (3)
MGMT 670 Strategic Management Capstone (3)
Clustered Course Option
- MGMT 610 must be taken within the first 6 credits of the MS in Management program.
- Students must complete 24 credits, including other core requirements, before enrolling in MGMT 670.
- MGMT 640 and MGMT 650 should not be completed simultaneously.
Marketing (MRKT) Specialization Required Courses
- MRKT 600 Marketing Management (3)
- MRKT 601 Legal and Ethical Issues in Global Communications (3)
- MRKT 602 Consumer Behavior (3)
- MRKT 603 Brand Management (3)
- MRKT 604 Marketing Intelligence and Research Systems (3)
- MRKT 605 International Marketing Management (3)
- MRKT 606 Integrated Direct Marketing (3)
Clustered Course Option
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.
Opportunities abound in marketing.
Nearly 23 thousand job postings for marketing executives—more than 66 percent—go unfilled every month. 1
1 Source: "18 Hot Jobs for 2015," CareerBuilder, LLC, November 20, 2014.
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.