Master of Business Administration
MBA Virtual Open House
Learn how UMUC's award-winning MBA degree can help provide a foundation for your career growth in business, government or the military. Register today to participate in an MBA Virtual Open House, where you can
- View a live presentation and take part in a question-and-answer session hosted by the program director and MBA faculty.
- Find out about the program curriculum and the benefits of UMUC's cohort structure, which allows you to learn alongside your peers.
- Learn about the admission process.
Choose from three dates:
- March 4, 8-9 p.m. eastern time
- March 11, 8-9 p.m. eastern time
- March 18, 8-9 p.m. eastern time
Management responsibilities in today's complex multi-national business organizations transcend a single functional specialty and require a broad array of specialized knowledge.
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) is designed for mid-career professionals whose careers and management responsibilities transcend a single functional specialty and require a broad array of specialized knowledge and skills. The emphasis of this interdisciplinary, integrated, and applied degree program is on the significant organizational and management processes that take place in the context of large public or private institutions doing business on a global scale.
The goal is to prepare students for upper management and executive-level positions by developing key managerial competencies—including critical thinking, systems thinking, team building, decision making, and ethical leadership—that can be applied in any type of business enterprise.
Graduates of this program will be able to
- Analyze the evolving nature of corporations.
- Practice leadership with change management.
- Measure an organization's intellectual assets.
- Identify how product development merges with entrepreneurship.
- Foster new approaches to measuring the economic performance of organizations.
Global Business Focus
UMUC offers students the option to focus their business studies on emerging economies and current issues in global business management. Instead of taking AMBA 650, 660, and 670, students who pursue the global business focus take RMBA 650, 660, and 670. Students who are interested in this option should contact the Business and Executive Programs department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 42-credit online MBA program consists of seven 6-credit seminars. A 3-credit course (AMBA 600) is prerequisite to the program coursework; the prerequisite may be waived if the applicant has taken the GMAT and scored at or above 70th percentile or has already completed a graduate degree. Each student is assigned to a cohort of approximately 25 students who continue together through completion of their MBA program.
Students who complete their undergraduate degree at UMUC with a major in Business Administration and pursue the MBA can reduce the total coursework for the graduate degree by 3 credits and complete both degrees with a total of 162 credits of coursework. More information is available in the Articulation Agreement.
Note: Students who began the MBA program with AMBA 600 prior to summer 2008 should follow the requirements as listed in the year in which they started. Find your catalog.
- AMBA 600 must be completed with a grade of B or better within the first semester.
- All seminars must be taken in the order listed.
- UCSP 615A Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- AMBA 600 MBA Fundamentals (3) (to be taken in the first semester)
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take COMM 600, Academic Writing for Graduate Students (3).
AMBA 600 MBA Fundamentals (3)
- AMBA 610 The Manager in Organizations and Society (6)
- AMBA 620 Managing People and Groups in the Global Workplace (6)
- AMBA 630 The Economics of Management Decisions (6)
- AMBA 640 Managing Projects, Operations, and Information Systems (6)
- AMBA 650 Marketing Management and Innovation (6)
- AMBA 660 Managing Global Business (6)
- AMBA 670 Managing Strategy in the Global Marketplace (6)
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.