With industry leadership and close proximity to a number of Federal agencies, University of Maryland University College's public safety programs offer a boost for students who take pride in protecting and serving. Hone your management and leadership skills while you build a strong foundation in public service fields such as criminal justice, homeland security, investigative forensics, and legal studies.
Secure Your Career with an Online Degree in Public Safety
Find the Right Program for You
With our Program Comparison Tool, you can evaluate as many as three degrees, specializations, and certificates side by side. Explore program descriptions, cost, transfer credit, program formats, course content, and more. Found your program? Use our Time and Tuition Estimator to get your estimated tuition, fees, and graduation date.
Why Study Public Safety at UMUC?
A public safety degree from UMUC can prepare you to respond to a wide range of public safety threats at the federal, state, or local level. And public safety is a natural fit for students who have experience in the military.
- Gain a distinctive edge: Build a strong foundation of knowledge about the justice system while developing your skills in leadership, management, and cross-agency collaboration.
- Learn from industry leaders: Our faculty hold key positions in the military, judicial system, and police and fire departments. Our instructors work in federal agencies including the FBI, FEMA, NSA, Secret Service, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, and the State Department.
- Hit the ground running: Our admissions process does not require the SAT, ACT, GRE, or GMAT, and our courses can help you learn skills you can apply immediately in your field of work.
- Explore your options: UMUC's public safety programs include criminal justice, homeland security, investigative forensics, legal studies, and public safety administration. No matter how you want to serve, we have you covered.
- Earn a respected degree: UMUC was founded over 70 years ago to meet the needs of working adults. We pair the flexibility of online learning with the reputation of a public state university.
- Save on materials: Study from anywhere with no-cost digital course materials for nearly all classes.
- Prepare to protect and serve: Employers are seeking to fill positions vital to government, military, and corporate security throughout the country and the world.