Become a leader by gaining management expertise through a broad and flexible course of study in the management foundations certificate program.
Today, many workplaces require knowledge of management principles from multiple disciplines. The online undergraduate certificate program in management foundations at University of Maryland University College can help you gain that expertise through a flexible course of study focused on decision making, problem solving, and leadership. By learning these skills, you'll be poised to move up into supervisory or midlevel management positions.
About the Management Foundations Undergraduate Certificate
In your management foundations courses, you'll focus on management principles and organizational dynamics for today's global, multicultural, and multinational organizations. You'll also benefit from a full spectrum of related business courses, covering statistics, business writing, marketing, finance, and organizational behavior.
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Apply leadership skills to promote communication, ethical behavior, and quality performance
- Implement employment practices, encourage team building, and mentor junior staff members
- Communicate effectively with culturally diverse audiences using a variety of formats and technologies
- Assess and develop performance measures, feedback, and coaching to facilitate employee development
- Employ self-reflection and mindfulness of individual and cultural differences when interacting with others
- Research, plan, and develop processes and procedures that ensure organizational performance
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Create a management or leadership plan
- Learn about process improvement, federal contracting, and decision making
- Create decision matrices, balanced scorecards, and appraisal performance reviews for an organization
- Conduct a fishbone analysis and an internal and external environmental scan
Management Foundations Undergraduate Certificate Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
- BMGT 364
- MRKT 310
- HRMN 300
- A finance course chosen from the following:
- FINC 330
- FINC 331
- Two supporting electives chosen from the following:
- BMGT 317
- BMGT 335
- BMGT 365
- BMGT 380
- BMGT 464
- BMGT 465
- BMGT 484
- BMGT 496
- HRMN 302
- HRMN 367
- IFSM 300
- To pursue a certificate program, you must be admitted as a UMUC student.
- You must complete all undergraduate certificate coursework within two years of enrolling in your first certificate course.
- You are responsible for notifying UMUC of your intention to complete certificate work before completion of your last course.
- You can pursue a degree and certificate simultaneously or pursue a degree after completing the certificate, but you must apply for a certificate before you are awarded the bachelor’s degree.
- If you apply for your certificate after your degree has been awarded, you may be required to complete additional coursework for the certificate. Contact your academic advisor for more information.
- You may not use the same course toward completion of more than one certificate. In cases where the same course is required for two certificates, you must replace that course with an approved substitute for the second certificate.
- No more than half of the total credits for any certificate can be earned through credit by examination, Prior Learning portfolio credit, internship/Workplace Learning credit, or transfer credit from other schools.
- Certificates consisting primarily of upper-level coursework may assume prior study in that area. Check prerequisites for certificate courses. Prerequisites for certificate courses can be satisfied by coursework, credit by examination, or Prior Learning portfolio credit, under current policies for such credit.
- At least half of the total credits for any certificate must be earned through graded coursework.
- You must complete all required coursework for the certificate with a minimum grade of C (2.0) in all courses for an undergraduate certificate. Certificate courses cannot be taken pass/fail.
Apply Your Certificate Credits Toward a Degree
Courses in this certificate can also be applied toward
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Program manager
- Vice president
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- Cartier International
- Discovery Channel
- Hilton Worldwide
- University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health