University System of Maryland Institution with National Profile
- In FY 2014, UMUC enrolled more students worldwide than any other four-year, degree-granting public university in the United States. (Calculated by comparing UMUC FY 2014 worldwide unduplicated headcount number with headcounts of all other public four-year degree-granting institutions, as reported by Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, known as IPEDS.)
- The number of stateside students has increased by more than 40 percent over the last 10 years from 28,374 in fall 2004 to 47,906 in fall 2014.
- Maryland Board of Regents projects estimate that UMUC's student headcount will grow 24 percent by 2024.
Leader in Online Education
- In FY 2015, UMUC had more than 248,000 worldwide online course enrollments.
- Currently, UMUC offers more than 90 undergraduate and graduate degrees, certificates, and specializations entirely online.
- In FY 2015, UMUC offered 975 distinct courses online.
- UMUC has received five Online Learning Consortium—formerly known as the Sloan Consortium—awards for Excellence in Online Teaching and Learning: for Institution-Wide Asynchronous Learning Network Programming; Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program for UMUC's Master of Distance Education, Master of Business Administration, and Master of Science in Biotechnology; and Excellence in Faculty Development for Online Teaching
Maryland Institution Addressing Maryland's Needs
- UMUC is the largest recipient of Maryland community college transfer students and has alliance agreements with all 16 Maryland community colleges that include more than 300 articulated programs.
- In FY 2015, UMUC served more than 32,000 Marylanders.
- In FY 2015, UMUC offered on-site instruction at more than 20 locations in Maryland, D.C., and Virginia
- Maryland residents represented 48 percent of UMUC's fall 2014 stateside enrolled students.
- In FY 2015, UMUC enrolled more than 9,000 students in the undergraduate and graduate cyber security programs.
- In FY 2015, UMUC's overseas divisions offered on-site classes in more than 20 countries and territories throughout the world, enrolling almost 11,000 individual students in undergraduate and graduate programs in Asia and Europe.
- UMUC has received three IMS Global Learning Consortium awards: the Learning Impact Award; Best in Category, Faculty Development Network for the UMUC faculty e-zine; and Best in Category, Online Laboratory for UMUC's online hands-on labs in information assurance.
Minority Student Access Provider
- UMUC enrolls more African American students than any of the four Maryland historically black colleges and universities. In fall 2014, 30 percent of UMUC's stateside students were African American students;minority students constituted 46 percent of the total enrollment.
- In FY 2015, 25 percent of UMUC students who took at least one online class were African American.
- In FY 2015, 36 percent of the master's degrees UMUC conferred were to awarded to African American students; 28 percent of all degrees and certificates at UMUC were awarded to African American students.
Working Adult Education Provider
- In spring 2014, approximately 75 percent of undergraduate students enrolled in UMUC's stateside programs were working full-time.
- More than half (54 percent) of UMUC stateside students are working parents.
- In fall 2014, the median age for students enrolled in UMUC's stateside undergraduate programs was 31.
History of Educating the Military
- In FY 2015, UMUC enrolled almost 52,000 active-duty military, reservist, dependent, and veteran students.
- Currently, UMUC offers courses and/or services at more than 140 worldwide locations on four continents.
- Military Times Edge ranked UMUC one of the "Best for Vets Colleges" in 2015.
- Victory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs and Guide to Military-Friendly Schools, named UMUC among the top military-friendly colleges and universities in 2015.