Degree Completion for a Bachelor's Degree
Originator: Vice President and Dean, School of Undergraduate Studies
Subject: Degree Completion Requirements for a Bachelor's Degree
- This Policy is in accordance with the Board of Regents Policy III-7.00 Policy on Degree and Curricular Requirements, approved on April 26, 1990, and outlines the degree completion requirements for a bachelor's degree.
- In order to be approved for graduation, students must have resolved any outstanding charges of fees or of misconduct and must have complied with the terms of any sanctions. The award of degrees and certificates is conditional upon satisfactory completion of all program requirements and compliance with all UMUC policies.
- Bachelor Degree Requirements
- To graduate with a bachelor's degree, students must submit proof of successful completion of a minimum of 120 semester hours (s.h.) of credit, which includes the following:
- Successful completion of the General Education Requirements in effect at the time the student begins continuous enrollment.
- A minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 (C) on all UMUC credit, and a minimum grade of C (2.00) for any course taken at UMUC to be applied to the student's academic major, minor, or specialization.
- At least 45 semester hours of upper-level credit (i.e., credit earned in courses numbered 300 to 499), including
- at least one-half of the semester hours required for the major
- 3 semester hours in advanced writing
The remaining upper-level hours may be earned in the minor (when selected) or any part of the curriculum.
- Within the required 120 semester hours, coursework taken with UMUC as follows:
- 30 semester hours (normally the final 30)
- Half of the required number of semester hours within both the major and the minor (when selected)
- 15 semester hours at the upper level, preferably within the major or minor (when selected)
- Second Bachelor Degree Requirements
- To obtain a second bachelor's degree, students must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Complete a minimum of 30 s.h. of new coursework with UMUC, after the completion of the first degree and admission into the second degree program. The combined total must be no less than 150 s.h. for the two degrees
- Complete UMUC major requirements (see catalog for more detailed information). If any of these requirements were satisfied in the previous degree, the remainder necessary to complete the minimum 30 semester hours of new courses should be satisfied with courses related to the major.
- A minimum grade point average of C (2.0). The GPA will be calculated on the basis of courses taken after completion of the first bachelor's degree and admission to the student's second bachelor degree program at UMUC
- The degree requirements for students who enroll continuously are determined by those in effect at the date of enrollment following admission into the second bachelor's degree program at UMUC.
|Current Policy||Prior Policy|