Application Fee Waiver Policy
Originator: Office of Enrollment Management
This Policy outlines when UMUC applicants are required to pay an Application Fee (as defined below) and stipulates under what circumstances an applicant will qualify for an application fee exception. This Policy applies to all UMUC applicants.
- Application Fee: A non-refundable, administrative fee, assessed at the submission of an application.
- Application Fee Exception: A basis on which an applicant will not be charged an application fee.
- Application Fee Waiver: A type of Application Fee Exception, where the applicant will not be charged an Application Fee because s/he attended certain pre-approved, UMUC sponsored events.
- Dependent: The son or daughter, stepson or stepdaughter or legally adopted son or daughter of a UMUC Employee who:
- Is under the age of 26 prior to the deadline for registration for courses in the semester or term for which the Application Fee Exception is granted; or
- Is over the age of 26 and is claimed as a dependent on the employee's federal income tax return for the year(s) the Application Fee Exception is granted.
- Division: Europe, Asia and/or Stateside locations of UMUC.
- Event: Events, for the purpose of this policy, are UMUC approved events targeted to prospective students
- Letter of Employment Verification: Employee requests a letter from HR verifying Employment with UMUC for an application fee exception to apply.
- Spouse: A person in a legally contracted marriage recognized by the State of Maryland to a UMUC employee, with the exception of an estranged spouse who maintains a separate domicile.
- Application Fees
- Once an application is submitted, the applicant is responsible for the Application Fee.
- The Application Fee will not be refunded if the applicant chooses not to complete the admissions process, cancels the application, chooses not to enroll, or disagrees with the University's admission decision.
- Application Fee Amounts: The UMUC application fee for undergraduate and graduate programs is $50. The application fee for the Doctor of Management program is $100. The application fees for the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs are separate and must be paid separately with the submission of each distinct application for the corresponding program. For more information, please visit:
- Application Fee Exceptions
- Application Fee Exceptions are granted at the time of admission for the following applicants:
- Re-admit: Applicants who have previously paid the Application Fee for The Undergraduate or Graduate Schools are entitled to an Application Fee Exception if applying again to the same school/degree level.
- Application Fee Exceptions will not be granted for Re-Admits in the following circumstances:
- If an applicant has paid the Application Fee for The Undergraduate School and wishes to apply to The Graduate School, s/he must pay the Application Fee.
- If an applicant has paid the Application Fee for The Graduate School and wishes to apply to The Undergraduate School, s/he must pay the Application Fee.
- Applicants who have previously paid the Application Fee for The Undergraduate or Graduate School overseas or stateside who are now applying to the same school/degree level in another Division are entitled to an Application Fee Exception.
- Application Fee Exceptions will not be granted for relocation in the following circumstances:
- If an applicant has paid the Application Fee for The Undergraduate School, in either Division, and wishes to apply to The Graduate School, in either Division, s/he must pay a new Application Fee.
- If an applicant has paid the Application Fee for The Graduate School, in either Division, and wishes to apply to The Undergraduate School, in either Division, s/he must pay a new Application Fee.
- Visiting University System of Maryland(USM) Applicants:
- An applicant who is currently taking classes at another University System of Maryland (USM) institution (home institution) and wants to take classes at UMUC that will transfer back to their home institution is entitled to an Application Fee Exception.
- Students must obtain an acceptable form or letter with appropriate signatures from their home institution permitting enrollment at UMUC as a visiting student for the purpose of transferring credits.
- UMUC Employee, Spouse or Dependent
- Any applicant who is a UMUC Employee, Spouse or Dependent as defined by this Policy is entitled to an Application Fee Exception.
- To qualify for the exception, the applicant must submit a Letter of Employment Verification from Human Resources.
- Alliance Partnerships
- "Alliance Partnerships" – are formal arrangements between a community college and UMUC through which a student can seamlessly enroll and transfer their credits to complete their Bachelor's degree.
- Alliance Applicant:
- Applicants whose last prior institution is an Alliance School would be eligible for an application fee waiver. Applicants must indicate the following on his/her application for admission:
- Dates of attendance at the Alliance school -
- If it is not clear from admissions application that the applicant's last prior institution was an alliance school, documentation will be requested to verify attendance at the alliance school before the waiver is processed.
- Corporate agreements:
- Applicants that are currently active with an educational partnerships established by Corporate Learning Solutions (CLS) with corporations and businesses in the community are entitled to an Application Fee Exception.
- To qualify for the exception, CLS will verify the student's employment and determine if the CLS agreement is eligible for an exception to the Application Fee.
- Consortium Students (Overseas Divisions) - Students seeking a certificate or degree with a consortium institution can enroll in a limited number of courses with other consortium institutions without paying an additional application fee. These courses must be (a) needed to complete a certificate or degree requirements and (b) unavailable from the institution at which you are seeking to earn your certificate or degree. Consortium institutions include: Central Texas College, Community College of the Air Force, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, University of Oklahoma (Europe only), University of Phoenix (Asia only), or with another Service members Opportunity College. This list of institutions is subject to change.
- New Military Students Stationed Overseas (Overseas Divisions) - Students who have newly arrived at their overseas duty location and are taking their first postsecondary course using military tuition assistance, but do not wish to apply as a degree-seeking UMUC student at this time.
- Application Fee Waivers for Event Attendees
- Application Fee Waivers are offered to applicants who would normally not be exempted from the Application Fee, but attend a UMUC sponsored event that has been preapproved for an Application Fee Waiver by the Director of Admissions or appropriate department designee.
- Applicants who attend the UMUC sponsored event will have thirty days from the conclusion of the event to submit an application and still qualify for the Application Fee Waiver.
- These events include, but are not limited to, events offered at UMUC locations, and virtual events.
- The Rules of the Military Student Bill of Rights and Service members Opportunities College (SOC) principles should be taken into consideration when providing military students information regarding an application fee waiver for event attendance. The language used to inform military students about the application fee waiver should not assert any pressure for the prospective student to apply or make an immediate decision.
- Recordkeeping: UMUC staff members that host events are expected to, following an event, record a prospective student's attendance at the event. Staff should contact UMUC's Admissions Department for more information.
- Additional application fee exceptions, outside of fee waivers for approved events and other exceptions expressly stated above, are also subject to this Policy.
- If an applicant was not granted an Application Fee Exception and believes s/he is entitled to such exception, s/he may submit, in writing, documentation that demonstrates s/he falls into one of the enumerated categories for Exceptions to the Application Fee as stated in this Policy (See Section IV). All documentation should be sent to the Admissions Department.
- These will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the Admissions Department and applicants will be notified as to the decision.
|Current Policy||Prior Policy|