Sustaining Culture in Copyright
June 22-24, 2010
Washington Convention Center
The three-day symposium, held June 22-24, 2010, began with the premise that culture flourishes through the creation of new music, videos, and textual works, and it explored better ways to balance the needs of cultural innovation with the rights of owners of creative works.
The symposium began in the afternoon with opportunities to participate in one of two intensive pre-conference seminars: "Copyright 101" with Georgia Harper or "Fair Use Trends" with Madelyn Wessel. The evening featured a keynote address by Peter Jaszi, Faculty Director of the Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic and Professor of Law, Washington College of Law, American University—"The Future of Fair Use." The evening concluded with a panel discussion of the keynote address.
The agenda included lively panel discussions on such topics as "Reuse, Recycle, Rethink: The Impact of Google Book Search" and "The Changing Landscape: Social Media, P2P Filesharing and Culture." After lunch, two more panels addressed such topics as "Charting Your Course: Copyright Literacy and Information Literacy" and "Regulating the Terrain: Broadband and Net Neutrality."
The agenda continued with a panel discussing "Conservation and Expansion: Legislative Updates." William Patry, Senior Copyright Counsel at Google, gave a closing keynote address entitled "Copyright Panics and the Copyright Wars."
The Future of Fair Use Peter Jaszi, Faculty Director of the Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic and Professor of Law, Washington College of Law, American University
KEYNOTE RESPONSE PANEL
Moderator: Steve Worona, Educause Panelists:
- Jonathan Band, Jonathan Band PLLC
- James Gibson, University of Richmond School of Law (PPT)
- Arnold Lutzker, Lutzker & Lutzker PLLC
- David Van Taylor, Lumiere Productions, Inc.
Reuse, Recycle, Rethink: The Impact of Google Book Search Moderator: Peter Jaszi Panelists:
- David Balto, Center for American Progress
- Lateef Mtima, Howard University School of Law
- Maria Pallante, U.S. Copryight Office
The Changing Landscape: Social Media, P2P Filesharing and Culture Moderator: Rebecca Tushnet, Georgetown University Law Center Panelists:
- Jim Burger, Dow Lohnes LLP (PPT)
- Greg DePriest, NBC Universal
- Jim Griffin, OneHouse LLC
Charting Your Course: Copyright Literacy and Information Literacy Moderator: Olga Francois, University of Maryland University College Panelists:
- Donna Ferullo, Purdue University (PPT)
- Peggy Hoon, North Carolina State University (PPT)
- Tomas Lipinski, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee (PPT / Handout)
Regulating the Terrain: Broadband and Net Neutrality Moderator: John Bertot, University of Maryland College Park Panelists:
- Rick Chessen, National Cable & Telecommunications Association
- Markham Erickson, Holch & Erickson LLP
- David Farber, Carnegie Mellon University
- Gigi Sohn, Public Knowledge
Conservation and Expansion: Legislative Updates Moderator: Kimberly Bonner, University of Maryland University College Panelists:
- Brandon Butler, Association of Research Libraries
- Maria Pallante, U.S. Copyright Office
- Steve Worona, Educause (PPT)
Copyright Panics and the Copyright Wars William Patry, Google, Inc.