The Center for Support of Instruction (CSI) facilitates the delivery of quality distance education to UMUC’s students worldwide. CSI’s instructional support specialists serve as consultants to faculty members and academic administrators with respect to the adoption, integration, and appropriate use of online teaching tools, strategies, and best practices. CSI’s work focuses on being current with the prevailing technological and pedagogical trends and standards in online and distance education, with a commitment to scalable, effective, and accessible processes and to responsive solutions for program and faculty requirements.
What We Do
- Develop instructional objects using innovative multimedia technologies.
- Facilitate technology integration through training, demonstrations, presentations, and online tutorials for faculty, staff, and students.
- Ensure classroom quality by assisting with online classroom setup and management, class readiness visits, and course quality reviews.
- Produce and maintain the DE Oracle, a bimonthly ezine devoted to online education at UMUC.
- Provide media services for UMUC faculty and staff through the Media Lab.
We are dedicated to providing creative and effective results by utilizing the unique skills and perspectives of our staff. The following list highlights our areas of expertise:
- Multimedia/object development
- Instructional design
- Web design
- Educational technology
- Faculty and staff training
- Technical support
- Print and Web publishing
- Technical writing and editing
- Usability engineering
- Graphic design
- Customer service
- Project management
- Distance education theories and methodologies
- Adjunct and assistant teaching