Cyber Security at UMUC
With innovative online educational programs, an award-winning competition team and industry connections, UMUC is changing the landscape of cyber security.
Educating the Next Generation of Cyber Security Leaders
- Cyber security education pioneer: Building on its established reputation as a leader in information assurance education, UMUC launched the first stand-alone bachelor's and master’s degree programs in cyber security in 2010 and added certificates1 soon after.
- Cutting-edge curriculum: UMUC Cybersecurity programs are continually reviewed by a team of some of the nation's top cyber security experts to ensure the curriculum keeps pace with the rapidly-changing field.
- Established reputation: UMUC has been designated as a National Center for Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security. Learn about more great reasons to study cyber security at UMUC.
- Globally-ranked cyber security team: The UMUC Cybersecurity team has earned global recognition, winning prestigious titles at national and international cyber security competitions.
- Community leader in cyber security: UMUC has been chosen by the Maryland General Assembly to staff the Commission on Cyber Security Innovation and Excellence, is charged with conducting an overview of federal and state cyber security laws and policies.
"UMUC deserves highest praise for recognizing and responding to the critical workforce need for trained professionals in the field. … It is an exciting time for cyber security, for the state of Maryland, and for UMUC."
1 View gainful employment disclosures for certificates
Is UMUC the biggest state school you’ve never heard of? Read The Washington Post Magazine story that calls UMUC a major force in online education and follows the university’s pioneering path in cyber security education.
"Not only am I in a very hot field, I'm in a good company where I feel secure, and I really like what I'm doing a lot. And I feel like I'm [adding] value not just to myself but to the country and to the government. ... I'm heading in the right direction for my career."