Connecting to University of Maryland University College UNIX Servers:
You will need to open a terminal connection to Polaris server to create a UNIX account, change a password, reset an expired password, set permissions, and perform other tasks on your account.
- If necessary, activate your connection to the Internet. If you have a broadband connection through your ISP (FIOS, Cable, DSL, ISDN), you have an always-on connection, so there is no need to turn on the Internet each time. Dial-up users must be connected before proceeding.
- Open a terminal window on your local computer:
Install University of Maryland University College customized version of PortaPuTTY:
PortaPuTTy is an SSH client used to connect to a UNIX server. The University of Maryland University College customized version comes equipped with presets that are already configured to connect to Polaris, Nova, and dbcourse. The University highly recommends that this method of connection is used.
Note: This installation must be run as an Administrator.
- Click the icon to the right download PortaPuTTY, preconfigured for use with University of Maryland University College resources. Click Run and accept the 'unsigned program' warning.
- The installation program begins. Click the Next button to view the license.
- Read the legal warning and the EULA, and click I Agree to accept the legal agreement.
- Click the Install to begin the installation process.
- Click the Finish button to close the installation program. PortaPuTTY for UMUC will start automatically.
Run PortaPuTTY and connect to the University of Maryland University College server of your choice:
- To start the program, double-click the PortaPuTTY for UMUC icon on your desktop.
- Find the session you want to open under Saved Sessions and double click it.
- Upon connecting for the first time, you will be prompted to accept a security certificate. Please accept it.