MyUMUC: Staff Password Requirements and Expiration
Passwords must be "strong" to stand up to hackers and spies on the Internet. When creating a new password, take into account the following guidelines for "strong passwords":
- Passwords must be ten (10) or more characters in length, it must contain at least 3 of the following criteria: 1 Uppercase letter, 1 lower case letter, 1 number, or 1 special character (!@^*%).
- The alphabetic portion of a password, taken as a whole, may not be a dictionary word, a proper name, your initials, or your MyUMUC ID.
- You can use a phrase to generate a good password. For example, in "I Love to Eat Hotdogs Everyday," use the first letters of the phrase, iltehe. Then apply capitalization, and substitute punctuation or numbers for letters. Your password might then be Il2e!E.
- You can also use a common word as a seed for a password. By itself, "hotdog" makes a horrible password, but if you apply some of the tricks above (capitalization, punctuation, and misspellings) the result is a much better password: H0t!daWg.
- You can also use a word, but substitute numbers for some of the letters. For example, by replacing the vowels with the number 7 in the word "Spiderman," the password could be Sp7d7rm7n.
- The new password must be unique from your last 24 passwords.
- May not contain part of your name.
- Do MyUMUC Passwords Expire?
- Yes. In order to maintain the security of your MyUMUC account, your password will expire every 90 days.
- Changing your password frequently will add a layer of security to your MyUMUC account. The longer the same password is linked to a user ID on the Internet, the greater the likelihood that someone knows or can guess it. If you think someone knows your password, change it immediately. You should protect your password as carefully as you do the PIN for your bank card. Do not write your password where someone else using your workstation could easily find it.
- Will I be notified when my password has expired?
- If you use UMUC Google Mail online, you will receive a warning that your password has expired with a link to direct you were it can be changed. Otherwise, you will not be notified when the password expires.
- Will I be able to access my account when the password expires?
- You will not be able to access your MyUMUC account once the password has expired. At the MyUMUC portal page, click on the Forgot Password? link for password change information.
- How do I change an expired password?
- If you received a warning that your password has expired; at the MyUMUC portal page, click on the Forgot Password? link for password change information.