When a topic is hidden, it will not display on the Discussions List page. Only those with permission to see hidden forums and topics or to manage discussions will be able to see it.
By hiding topics, you can control which topics students can access at different times throughout the course. For example, you can create weekly discussion topics for students to reflect on the material covered in each week of the course and make each topic available for one week only. You can also specify start and end dates for a forum or topic visibility ahead of time to align with your course calendar.
TIP: Instead of scheduling a topic to disappear as soon as you want the discussion to end, consider locking the topic and keeping it visible. This allows students to review the discussion after it closes.
- From the course home page, select Discussions. Note: You may be required to click the My Tools drop down menu to select Discussions.
- Click the drop down menu next to the Forum or Topic you want to hide and select Edit Forum or Edit Topic. Note: You can also set visibility options when creating a New Forum or Topic.
- Under Availability click Show forum visibility options or Show topic visibility options and select one of the following:
- Forum is always visible
- Hide this forum
- Forum is visible for a specific date range
- Topic is always visible
- Hide this topic
- Topic is visible for a specific date range
- Select Save and Close, Save and Add Topic, or Save.