Many UMUC courses do not require students to purchase materials. Students should check their class syllabi for information specific to their courses. If a student requests a book voucher and only uses a portion of their funds, they must wait until the end of the semester for UMUC to reconcile their account and process a refund. It can take up to 14 day to receive a book allowance refund from the day the refund is posted to an account.
Students should visit MBS Direct and research the cost of the books before they choose to receive a book allowance of $300, $400, or $500. They should also ensure they have enough financial aid to cover their outstanding balance and the amount of the book allowance.
To apply for a Book Allowance Voucher:
- Log into MyUMUC.
- Select Student Center.
- Select Book Voucher Application, located under the Finance section.
- After you submit your application, the next screen will indicate whether the application has been approved or denied.
Once the allowance has been placed on the account, books can be ordered through MBS Directs.
- Online: The student will receive an email from MBS Direct with instructions for completing an online purchase with a voucher number and their student ID number. The voucher ID number will be emailed to them by MBS and they only need to use it when ordering online.
- By Phone: Students can call MBS Direct at 800-325-3252 to order books using their student ID number for identification.
Requests may be denied for any of the following reasons:
- The student's financial aid has already been disbursed.
- There is not enough financial aid in the student's account.
- There is no financial aid pending.
- The student already requested a book allowance for the semester.
- The request was made for a term or session that has not opened, or is already closed.