Many private, military, and government employers provide tuition assistance (TA) to their employees to help pay for their education. Students receiving tuition assistance that will be paid directly to University of Maryland University College must provide documentation from their employer or military education office when registering for classes.
Please check with your employer's human resources department or education office to confirm the process for applying for tuition assistance for your organization and follow the steps below to submit your tuition assistance documentation to University of Maryland University College.
Note: Army students and Air Force students should use their education portals to submit TA requests.
Instructions for Submitting TA Documentation
1. Complete a Document of Authorization. This can be a purchase order, tuition assistance form, or contract on company letterhead. This document must contain the following information:
- A specific description of fees, charges, and the amount to be assumed by the agency, such as tuition, technology fee, application fee, schedule-adjustment fee, or late registration fee. No credit will be granted for fees unless specified.
- Your name and Student ID
- The semester or term covered by the document
- The billing address
- The signature and telephone number of the authorizing official
- Federal Tax ID (recommended)
Note: A tuition assistance contract will not be accepted if it restricts payment, or is in any way conditional.
2. Submit your Document of Authorization via the University of Maryland University College Help Center.
- Go to the E-mail Support or Submit Documents webpage.
- Using the Case Type drop-down menu, select Billing/Payments.
- Using the Select Assistance Category drop-down menu, select Tuition Assistance.
- Complete the required fields.
- In the Upload Attachments section, use the Choose File button to attach your Document of Authorization form and click Submit Case.
Processing and Payment Responsibility
Tuition assistance requests typically take 1-2 business days to process. Once a TA contract is posted to a student's account, the amount assumed by the agency is deferred to the agency account. No exchange of money has taken place at this time. University of Maryland University College reserves the right to reinstate all unpaid tuition assistance invoices back to the student account. Please note that the student is ultimately responsible for all charges posted to their account.
TA forms that are not received within the allotted semester will not be posted. Exceptions will be made for deployed soldiers or in the event corrections need to be made.
Additional information about tuition assistance can be found on the Employer-Provided Tuition Assistance webpage and or the Tuition Assistance for Military Personnel webpage. You may also wish to view a list of Tuition Assistance Frequently Asked Questions.