Library Circulation Policy
Information and Library Services’ (ILS) physical collection is comprised of books, periodicals, DVDs, CD-ROMs, and VHS videotapes. Development of the circulating portion of the collection is concentrated on higher education, distance education, technology, and instructional and adult/continuing education issues. ILS also facilitates the circulation of materials owned by University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institution (USMAI) libraries to UMUC students, faculty and staff.
II. Circulation Practices
ILS circulates ILS-owned and USMAI materials to current UMUC and USMAI students, faculty, and staff living within the State of Maryland from three UMUC locations:
- Academic Services Building in Largo, MD.
- Dorsey Station in Elkridge, MD.
- Waldorf Center for Higher Education in Waldorf, MD.
- ILS-owned and USMAI materials may also be circulated to UMUC students, faculty and staff from any of the fifteen other USMAI Libraries.
- ILS-owned materials may circulate to UMUC and USMAI alumni from only the Academic Services Building in Largo, MD.
- ILS ships UMUC and USMAI materials to current UMUC students, faculty, and staff living outside of Maryland, but within the continental United States, through the UMUC Distance Education Book Delivery Service. This service delivers materials directly to an individual’s home or place of work.
- Current UMUC faculty not residing within the continental United States may also request UMUC and USMAI materials via the Distance Education Book Delivery Service. These materials must be shipped to an APO/FPO address.
- The following categories of individuals are eligible to borrow circulating materials from ILS’s collection:
- Current UMUC students, faculty, and staff who reside in the continental United States
- Faculty who reside in AK or HI.
- Current UMUC faculty living abroad.
- Current USMAI students, faculty and staff.
- UMUC & USMAI alumni.
- Loan Periods
- Loan periods for materials owned by our USMAI partners are set by the owning institution.
- Loan periods for ILS-owned materials by patron category:
UMUC undergrad and grad students
UMUC faculty and staff
UMUC special borrowers
USMAI, non-UMUC students
USMAI, non-UMUC faculty
USMAI, non-UMUC staff
USMAI, non-UMUC alumni
- Non-circulating Materials: ILS’ USMAI partners set circulation policies for their collections. The following ILS materials do not circulate:
- Reference collection items.
- Videotapes (Circulation to UMUC faculty is allowed and in other case-by-case bases).
- CD-ROMs and DVDs (if part of a package set with a book, it may circulate).
- Holds/Requests: UMUC students, faculty and staff may place holds (also known as requests) on any circulating item in the USMAI’s library catalog, including those belonging to ILS. Any ILS circulation location or USMAI library may be selected as a pickup location (see II, A & B). If eligible, select UMUC Distance Ed - US to have the material(s) shipped via the Distance Education Book Delivery Service anywhere within the Continental United States outside of Maryland (or if you are faculty residing in AK or HI). Overseas faculty should select UMUC Distance Ed - Overseas.
- Renewing: Materials ILS and USMAI materials may be renewed. For materials belonging to our USMAI partners, renewal periods are set by the owning institution. ILS materials may be renewed three times for the same amount of time as the original loan period (see II, G). Any USMAI or ILS material may be renewed as long as the material has not: 1) been recalled (requested by another patron), 2) been declared lost, or 3) reached its renewal limit. Overdue materials owned by ILS may be renewed as long as a request (hold) or recall (see II, I & K) has not been placed by another patron.
- Recalls: All ILS and USMAI materials are subject to recall when another patron places a hold (request) on the material(s). The original patron will then have fourteen days from the date of notice to return the recalled items regardless of the original due date. Recalled items cannot be renewed . Failing to return a recalled item after the fourteen day period will result in the item being declared lost. Some or all ILS privileges may be revoked at this time. Lost book charges may also be incurred, as well as late fees, depending on the institution from which the material was lent.
- Returns: Any ILS and USMAI materials may be returned to any ILS circulation location or USMAI library. All materials should be returned on time to avoid incurring fines from lending institutions. For materials shipped to a patron via the Distance Education Delivery Service, use the return label included in the initial shipment. Patrons should use these labels to avoid incurring shipping costs.
- Fines: ILS cannot regulate fines imposed by our USMAI partners. No daily late fines are assessed for ILS materials. However, if an item is not returned or renewed once the due date has passed, the item will be declared lost and the patron will be subject to a $60.00, non-refundable replacement fee. Some or all library privileges may be revoked if an item is not returned or a lost book fine is not paid.