- What is the eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)?
- How do I search the eBook Collection?
- How do I view an eBook online?
- How do I download an eBook to my computer?
- How do I transfer an eBook to a mobile device?
The eBook Collection (EBSCOhost) contains the same titles as UMUC's former NetLibrary Collection and replaces NetLibrary.
Click the eBook Full Text link to view the eBook online, using the eBook Viewer tool. Click the Table of Contents link to view the chapters. See the Ebsco eBooks User Guide for tips on searching and viewing.
Click Download (Offline) and follow the prompts. However, there are some things you will need beforehand: an Adobe ID, Adobe Digital Editions Software, and a My EBSCOhost account (all of which are free).
Getting Set Up
- Create up an Adobe ID.
This is optional, but recommended. You will need it if you want to transfer eBooks to other computers or devices.
- Install Adobe Digital Editions
- Click the link to install and follow the prompts.
- When prompted to authorize your computer, enter the Adobe ID you created in Step 1. (You can also select the option to not authorize your computer. You can still download eBooks, but you will not be able to share them on other computers or mobile devices.) Either way, click Activate.
- Go to eBooks on EBSCOhost. (Log in with your MyUMUC credentials if prompted.)
- Click Sign in.
- Click Create a new Account and follow the prompts.
Downloading eBooks to your computer
- Go to the eBook Collection (EBSCOhost) and conduct your search.
- Select a title and click Download (Offline).
- If prompted, sign in to your My EBSCOhost account.
- Select a checkout period and click Checkout & Download.|
- You will then have the choice to Open or Save.
- In Adobe Digital Editions, you can click on the Library icon to view of all the eBooks you have downloaded, then select the one you would like to read.
- Note: To open Adobe Digitial Editions later, go under Start Menu > Programs > Adobe > Adobe Digital Editions.
- Download the eBook to your computer, as described above.
- See the list of supported devices and mobile phone apps which are compatible with Adobe's eBook platform. For example, the Nook is a compatible e-reader device and Bluefire Reader is a compatible app for mobile phones.
- To transfer an e-book to your device:
- For downloaded apps (such as the Bluefire Reader):
Please check the app's help pages for instructions.
- For e-reader devices (such as the Nook):
- Plug the device into a USB port on your computer.
- Start Adobe Digital Editions (Start Menu > Programs > Adobe > Adobe Digital Editions).
- Adobe Digital Editions should “recognize” a supported device and the Device Setup Assistant box should appear. Click to Authorize Device.
- The device should then appear on the left side of the Adobe Digital Editions screen. You can then drag the eBook to the device and it will download there.
- Need help? Please note that not all e-reader devices will work this way with Adobe Digital Editions. See the help site for your device or contact their technical support department if you have questions.