- What is the eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)?
- How do I search the eBook Collection?
- How do I view an eBook online?
- How do I download an eBook to my computer?
- How do I download an eBook to a mobile device?
Click the eBook Full Text link to view the eBook online, using the eBook Viewer tool. Click the Table of Contents link to view the chapters. See the Ebsco eBooks User Guide for tips on searching and viewing.
Click Download (Offline) and follow the prompts. However, there are some things you will need beforehand: an Adobe ID, Adobe Digital Editions Software, and a My EBSCOhost account (all of which are free).
Getting Set Up
- Install Adobe Digital Editions
- Download Adobe Digital Editions (free) and run the installation on your computer.
- Authorize your computer.
- Open Adobe Digital Edition (e.g. look under Start Menu > All Programs > Adobe > Adobe Digital Editions).
- Click Help > Authorize Computer.
- If you want to be able to transfer your e-books to other devices, then
- Select AdobeID from the eBook vendor menu
- Click the link to Create an Adobe ID.
- Create your Adobe username and password.
- Enter the Adobe ID and password into Adobe Digital Editions and click the Authorize button.
- If you do not want to transfer your e-books to other devices, then select I want to authorize my computer without an ID click the Authorize button.
- Go to eBooks on EBSCOhost. (Log in with your MyUMUC credentials if prompted.)
- Click Sign in.
- Click Create a new Account and follow the prompts.
Downloading eBooks to your computer
- Go to the eBook Collection (EBSCOhost) and conduct your search.
- Select a title and click Download (Offline).
- If prompted, sign in to your My EBSCOhost account.
- Select a checkout period and click Checkout & Download.|
- You will then have the choice to Open or Save.
- In Adobe Digital Editions, you can click on the Library icon to view of all the eBooks you have downloaded, then select the one you would like to read.
- Note: To open Adobe Digital Editions later, go under Start Menu > Programs > Adobe > Adobe Digital Editions.
Downloading directly to a mobile device, using Bluefire Reader:
Transferring a downloaded eBook from your computer to a mobile device:
- Download the eBook to your computer, as described above.
- See the list of supported devices and mobile phone apps which are compatible with Adobe's eBook platform.
- To transfer an e-book to a mobile device:
- Apple devices
- Downloaded apps:
Please check the app's help pages for instructions.
- E-reader devices (such as the Nook):
- Plug the device into a USB port on your computer.
- Start Adobe Digital Editions (Start Menu > Programs > Adobe > Adobe Digital Editions).
- Adobe Digital Editions should “recognize” a supported device and the Device Setup Assistant box should appear. Click to Authorize Device.
- The device should then appear on the left side of the Adobe Digital Editions screen. You can then drag the eBook to the device and it will download there.
- Need help? Please note that not all e-reader devices will work this way with Adobe Digital Editions. See the help site for your device or contact their technical support department if you have questions.