Request a Lexis.com ID
Use this form to request a Lexis.com ID on or after the first day of your LGST class.
- How do I get a Lexis.com ID and password?
- What if I forget my ID and password?
- What if I have problems?
How do I get a Lexis.com ID and password?
If you are taking at least one Legal Studies class that awards two credits or more, you are eligible to request a Lexis.com ID and password. Please note that IDs and passwords will not be available until on or after the start date of your Legal Studies class, as specified in the UMUC catalog.
- Fill out the Request a Lexis.com ID form.
After completing the form, you will be shown the e-mail address we have on record for you. When you confirm that this is the correct e-mail address, the Lexis.com ID and TEMPORARY password will be e-mailed to you right away. Keep this e-mail for your future reference. Note the date that the Lexis.com ID and password expires. You will need to re-register at that time.
- Log into Lexis.com with your ID and temporary password.
- You will be prompted to “strengthen” your password.
You will only have to do this once. Instructions on how to create your new password will be included in the email response once you fill out the request form. Please follow these instructions carefully. After your have strengthened your password, you will receive an e-mail from Lexis containing your permanent password.
Keep track of your ID and your new password!!!
What if I forget my ID and password?
If you forget your 7 character ID:
- Re-request your Lexis.com ID. Fill out the form and you will again be e-mailed the Lexis.com ID.
NOTE: this process does not reset your password. The temporary password you receive in the mail will no longer be valid because you will have changed it (see next paragraph).
If you forget your password:
- Go to Lexis.com.
- Click Forgot Password?
- Follow the prompts.
- If you are still unable to log in after following this procedure, then please e-mail email@example.com or call 240-684-2020 (800-888-8682, option 3, ext. 2020).
What if I have problems?
If you have problems requesting a Lexis.com ID and password:
- You may see a message that says “You are not in our records because …” Read the suggested solutions carefully.
- If you think that none of these apply to you, e.g. your class has started and there is still no record for you in the database, then e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 240-684-2020 (800-888-8682, option 3, ext. 2020).
If you do not receive the Lexis.com ID and password as expected:
- It may be that the e-mail address displayed to you during the request is not the e-mail address you are looking at, i.e. you have more than one e-mail address. Re-request your Lexis.com ID and check the e-mail address that is displayed during the application process.
- Your spam blocker is set to block messages from Information and Library Services. Check your spam or junk mail folder.
- If neither of these solutions applies to you, then e-mail email@example.com or call 240-684-2020 (800-888-8682, option 3, ext. 2020).
If you have problems logging in to Lexis.com:
- Refer back to the message that came with your Lexis.com ID and password. For example, you may be entering the letter "o" instead of the number zero as part of your Lexis.com ID.
- If you are still unable to log in after following the instructions in the e-mail message, then e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 240-684-2020 (800-888-8682, option 3, ext. 2020).
If you need help with searching Lexis.com:
- Please contact your course instructor for assistance.