Book Borrowing & Delivery
Need a book chapter or table of contents?
Request book chapters (up to 20% of the book) and tables of contents for electronic delivery through DocumentExpress.
- In the Continental U.S.:
- UMUC students, faculty and staff.
- Alumni can borrow from UMUC, UMCP and UMBC. See Library Services for Alumni for details.
- Outside the Continental U.S.:
- Current faculty.
- (Students and staff, please see book options for overseas.)
See our Circulation Policy for more details.
Use the Request feature in the library catalog and select a pickup/delivery option.
- Pickup locations in Maryland:
A number of pickup locations are available throughout the state, including the following. Be sure and check the hours of operation.
- Free home delivery in the continental US (outside Maryland):
Select UMUC Distance Ed - US and we will deliver the book, via UPS, to your home address as recorded in the MyUMUC Portal. Books cannot be delivered to P.O. Box numbers.
- Maryland residents: Free home delivery is available if you live more than 20 miles from a Maryland pickup location or are disabled. (Select UMUC Distance Ed - US.) Contact us if you have questions.
- Free delivery outside the continental US (faculty only):
Select UMUC Distance Ed - Overseas and we will deliver the book, via USPS, to your APO or FPO address as recorded in the MyUMUC Portal.
There is no limit on the number of books you can borrow.
- For pick up in Maryland:
Generally 3 - 5 business days. You will be notified when the book is available, and then you should pick it up within a week.
- For home delivery:
Generally 1 - 2 weeks.
NOTE: If you request a book that is currently checked out, it will be recalled from the current borrower. This may delay its arrival.
Loan periods are determined by individual USMAI libraries and vary. The check-out period will be at least 28 days.
Note: Books may be recalled by another borrower, shortening the due date.
You may be fined for overdue or lost books. You will receive a notice with information on how to make payment.
NOTE: Fines must be paid to the institution that owns the book. Do not send the payment to Information and Library Services.
Use the MyAccount feature in the Library Catalog.
- Drop off locations In Maryland:
A number of drop off locations are available throughout the state, including the following. Be sure and check the hours of operation.
- If you received the book by mail:
At least 1 week before a book is due (2 weeks if you are overseas faculty), repack it and use the free return label provided. If you have questions, please contact us.
Use DocumentExpress to request:
- Books not available in the library catalog. UMUC will obtain the book from another library system.
- Book chapters (up to 20% of the book) and tables of contents can also be requested for electronic delivery.
Note: DocumentExpress does not supply required text books.
See our Interlibrary Loan Policy for more details.
- For books: Current students, faculty and staff in the continental U.S.
- For book chapters: All current UMUC students, faculty, and staff may request chapters (up to 20% of a book) or tables of contents, regardless of location. We will attempt to scan them and deliver them electronically.
- In the Washington, DC area:
When a book has arrived, you will be notified by e-mail and given the following choices:
- You can pick up the book at Library Services in Largo, Maryland (weekdays only)
- You can have the book delivered, via UPS, to your home address. Books cannot be delivered to P.O. boxes.
- In the continental U.S. outside the DC area:
UPS will deliver the book to your home address. Books cannot be delivered to P.O. boxes.
20 items per semester or eight-week term. This includes books and electronically delivered chapters and articles.
- Graduate Students and Faculty
Unlimited number of items per semester or eight-week term.
Unlimited number of items, but these must be directly related to job responsibilities. DocumentExpress items for personal use are not accepted.
- Books held for pickup at Largo:
Generally 2 - 4 weeks. You will be notified by e-mail when a book arrives. Books must then be picked up within 10 business days.
- Books that are mailed:
Generally 2 - 4 weeks for the book to arrive at UMUC, then an additional 3 - 5 business days for delivery to your home address.
Loan periods are determined by the lending library and vary, but 1 month is typical.
Note: books are subject to recall, shortening the due date.
If books are not returned within three (3) weeks of the due date, you may be liable for a $50.00 to $500.00 replacement fee per item charged by ILS on behalf of the lending library.
Log in to DocumentExpress one week before the due date and select Books You've Checked Out. Then click on the Transaction Number of the book. If renewal is allowed, you will see an option to Renew at the top of the screen. Some books cannot be renewed and ALL items are subject to recall by the lending library.