Guide to the VAIL Plagiarism Tutorial
Assignments to Accompany Your Student's Use of the VAIL Plagiarism
- Assign a 2 to 3 page paper on 'Plagiarism in the Online
Classroom' using APA or MLA documentation style and require
proper in-text references for paraphrases, quotes and summaries.
- Although the tutorial was conceived as a complete introduction
to the subject, an instructor could assign specific Modules
from the tutorial supplement course materials as needed.
- Ask students to create an Annotated Bibliography on 'Student
Cheating in the Internet Era'. Require that it include scholarly
and popular resources, as well as include articles from
subscription databases (if possible) and web resources.
- If you suspect that your students are unaware of campus
policies, assign students to locate their departmental or
institutional plagiarism and academic integrity policies
and review with them before the first writing assignment
of the term or semester.
- Set up a time for your students to use the VAIL chat feature
and discuss their experience and barriers in creating correct
citations for their research papers.
- Assign students to contribute to one of the bulletin board
topics or pose an original question.
- Post a topic to the VAIL discussion board that asks students
to discuss “integrity in the professional field of
study” the course covers.
- For additional general assignment suggestions that help
to avoid student plagiarism please see the VAIL guide on
Preventing Plagiarism and Designing Assignments.