Below are some general research strategies that can help prevent plagiarism and promote proper citation. For more research tips & tools take your pick from the UMUC Information and Library Services’ “How Do I?” webpage.
- Good time management! Start your research early.
- Be prepared to switch focus or topic if necessary.
- Thorough notetaking! Whether you do this by hand or by copying and pasting
text from the Internet or a subscription database, always put
your quote in quotation marks.
- Paraphrase it or summarize it by writing an annotation soon after reading
- And before putting away the source, write your citation.
- Keep a log or journal of your search strategies.
- When you find something you want to return to, write down your search terms
and where you searched (search engine, subscription database, print material,
- Get help with citation from support services such as your institution's
writing center or library.
Maintained by UMUC Library.
© 1996-2012 University of Maryland University College
3501 University Blvd. East
Adelphi, Maryland 20783 USA