Military Spouses & Families FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to questions that military spouses and family members ask about University of Maryland University College.

Is UMUC military friendly?

Yes, and we specialize in helping you achieve your educational goals. UMUC is one of the top military- and veteran-friendly universities in the country. We've steadfastly served the U.S. armed forces since 1947, and we enroll more than 50,000 military personnel, student veterans, and military spouses and family members.

Is UMUC a respected school?

At UMUC, you'll earn a degree that's respected on the job market and within the armed forces.

UMUC serves more than 80,000 students. We're a proud member of the University System of Maryland, and we're regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, one of six regional accreditation agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Why does regional accreditation matter?

Taking courses from a regionally accredited school makes transferring credits easier. More importantly, regional accreditation ensures your degree will be credible and respected. To earn accreditation, we must pass a peer review by faculty and administrators from similar institutions.

UMUC is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

Some schools are also nationally accredited, but national accreditation may not be federally recognized.

Does UMUC offer on-site courses?

We have courses to fit your life. You can take most of our courses on-site or online. And you can take hybrid courses at more than a dozen regional locations in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., area. Hybrid classes combine on-site meetings with online coursework and interactions.

UMUC is also contracted by the U.S. Department of Defense to serve active-duty military personnel stationed abroad and their spouses and families. We offer bachelor's and master's degrees at military installations across Europe and Asia. And no matter where you're stationed, you have the flexibility to take online courses from our divisions in the U.S., Europe, and Asia.

How do I get started at UMUC?

Getting started at UMUC is easy. Follow the five simple steps to begin or continue your education.

Do I qualify for the military tuition rate?

We help make education more affordable by offering reduced undergraduate and graduate military tuition rates to spouses of active-duty military servicemembers and members of the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Dependent children of the aforementioned student groups can secure the graduate military tuition rate if their sponsor meets specific conditions. The undergraduate military tuition rate is also available to spouses and dependent children of members of the Selected Reserves and National Guard.

Although spouses of military veterans are not eligible for the special rate, if you're a vet's spouse, you can use transferred veteran education benefits or other payment options at UMUC.

Check out information about Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts, also known as MyCAA, and financial aid to learn how you can make your education more affordable.

How can I get education benefits transferred to me?

The Department of Defense determines if a military servicemember can transfer his or her Post-9/11 education benefits to a spouse or dependent. If a spouse or dependent is approved, the spouse or family member must apply to use the transferred benefits by completing  VA Form 22-1990 E online.

Contact our specially trained military advisors, and they'll walk you through all the steps.

Can I continue classes if our duty station changes or we have to move?

Online learning gives you the flexibility to continue your education even if you have to move. UMUC's tight eight-week courses and varied session start states will help you fit your education around your busy lifestyle.

And our experienced and military-friendly faculty and advisors are here to help you. Professors, for example, can work with you to accommodate an unexpected move or change.

Which major should I pick?

For many students, this is a difficult question to answer. It takes thoughtful consideration to decide on the next steps in your career and life.

We're here to help. Our specially trained military advisors will talk with you to learn your interests and understand your goals. We're experienced at translating your background into a college degree plan, and we'll give you the information you need to plan for a successful career.

"What drew me to UMUC is the credibility, flexibility, and cost."

Jennifer Aguilar

Military Spouse
Associate of Arts in General Studies

Request Info

Apply Now

Or call 800-939-UMUC (8682) to speak directly with an advisor.

UMUC Stories

James E. Freeze talks about how UMUC helped him become a major general in the U.S. Army.

Advisor's Tip

Our dedicated military and veterans advisors can provide a tentative evaluation of your transcript to assess your transfer credits, develop a customized map to your degree, and help you select your first classes before you even apply. Your official transcript evaluation will be completed in four to six weeks.