Military Veterans FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to questions that student veterans ask about University of Maryland University College.

Is UMUC military friendly?

Yes, we specialize in helping you achieve your educational goals. UMUC is one of the top military- and veteran-friendly universities in the country. We've steadfastly served the U.S. armed forces since 1947, and we enroll more than 50,000 military personnel, student veterans, and military spouses and family members.

Is UMUC a respected school?

At UMUC, you'll earn a degree that's respected on the job market and within the armed forces.

UMUC serves more than 80,000 students. We're a proud member of the University System of Maryland, and we're regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, one of six regional accreditation agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Why does regional accreditation matter?

Taking courses from a regionally accredited school makes transferring credits easier. More importantly, regional accreditation ensures your degree will be credible and respected. To earn accreditation, we must pass a peer review by faculty and administrators from similar institutions.

UMUC is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

Some schools are also nationally accredited, but national accreditation may not be federally recognized.

Does UMUC offer on‐site courses?

We have courses to fit your life. In addition to online classes, you can take hybrid courses at more than 20 regional locations in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., area. Hybrid classes blend online learning with the traditional classroom. They meet on-site less often and can affect your housing allowance.

How do I get started at UMUC?

Getting started at UMUC is easy. Follow the five simple steps to begin or continue your education.

Do I qualify for the military tuition rate?

Most student veterans are not eligible for the military tuition rate, but our state university tuition rate is affordable.

And our specially trained veterans advisors will help you pursue all payment options, including veterans educational benefits, financial aid, and scholarships.

Does UMUC participate in the Post-9/11 GI Bill®1 Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes, under the Yellow Ribbon Program, UMUC maintains a voluntary agreement with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. We contribute funds to help make up the portion of your tuition and fees that's not covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill, an educational benefit program for student veterans who were active-duty military personnel after September 10, 2001.

The Yellow Program enables us to contribute up to 50 percent of your unmet costs, and the Department of Veterans Affairs matches that amount.

You must be 100 percent eligible for Post-9/11 benefits to receive Yellow Ribbon funding.

How do online, on-site, and hybrid courses effect my housing allowance?

As a military veteran, you may qualify for veterans educational benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Part of that program is a housing allowance, which you may also qualify for.

Our experienced veterans advisors can help you understand how the classes you take affect your housing benefit. For students interested in full-time enrollment, we recommend you pursue at least 6 credits at a time and at least 12 credits a semester for undergraduate students and at least 6 credits at a time for graduate students. We also recommend you take at least one hybrid course in each session. Hybrid classes combine on-site meetings at our more than a dozen regional locations with online coursework.

We offer hybrid courses in the first and last eight-week sessions of our academic calendar. We recommend you take take two courses in Session 1 and two courses in Session 4. During each session, at least one course should be a hybrid course. This will ensure four months of uninterrupted housing allowance in the spring and fall semesters. Learn more about your housing allowance.

How do I find out which educational benefits I qualify for?

Only the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs can determine your eligibility for benefits.

We suggest you review benefits information on the department's website or call 888-442-4551.

Then, complete the Veterans On-Line Application, or VONAPP, to apply for veterans benefits. You'll receive an automated e-mail response confirming your application has been received. It'll take four to eight weeks to receive your certificate of eligibility, which will tell you which benefits you qualify for.

We recommend you apply to UMUC and have your military transcripts and transcripts from any other schools sent to us while your VONAPP is being processed.

Will my credits transfer, and do you accept credit for military experience?

Yes and yes. UMUC follows guidelines from the American Council on Education for awarding credit for your military or other professional experience, training, and prior learning at other colleges or through your military education.

Your credits can transfer toward general education requirements, coursework in your major, or electives.

Which major should I pick?

For many student veterans, this is a difficult question to answer. It takes thoughtful consideration to determine your next steps in your career and life.

We're here to help. Our specially trained veterans advisors will talk with you to learn your interests and understand your goals. We're experienced at translating your military occupation into a career plan, and we'll give you the information you need to start moving your civilian career forward.

Advisor's Tip

Our dedicated military and veterans advisors can provide a tentative evaluation of your transcript to assess your transfer credits, develop a customized map to your degree, and help you select your first classes before you even apply. Your official transcript evaluation will be completed in four to six weeks.

1 GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Request Info

Apply Now

Or call 800-939-UMUC (8682) to speak directly with an advisor.

"For every one of you coming out of the service, there are a number of us veterans out here who would find it an honor to work with you. Reach out. We're ready to help you."

Aric Krause

Vice Provost and Dean
The Graduate School

UMUC Stories

James E. Freeze talks about how UMUC helped him become a major general in the U.S. Army.