Military Veterans Steps to Get Started
Steps to Get Started

Apply to UMUC

Rolling admissions and start dates throughout the year make it easy to apply to UMUC.

Our simplified admission requirements, affordable tuition, and multiple start dates make it easier to get started on your degree on your terms. Plus, relocation isn't a problem.

Veterans: Get Started in Five Steps

1 Choose a degree program

To be eligible for veteran benefits, you need to pick an academic program. If you decide to change your major at a later date, general education requirements for bachelor's degrees are transferrable between programs.

2 Complete the Veterans On-Line Application, or VONAPP

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs VONAPP enables you to apply for veterans education benefits. It can take four to six weeks for the VA to issue your Certificate of Eligibility.

3 Apply to UMUC

Begin Your Application

If you're transferring between one of our three divisions (U.S., Europe, and Asia), you don't need to reapply for admission, but you will need to complete a relocation.

4 Submit your military transcript

Request your Joint Services Transcript, records from all previous institutions you have attended, any industry certifications you have earned, and your test scores. Additionally, please provide a copy of your high school transcripts if you've completed fewer than 24 college credits. Learn more about the Joint Services Transcript.

Note: If you're an Air Force veteran, you should request your military transcript from the Community College of the Air Force instead of using the Joint Services Transcript.

Our specially trained military advisors can provide a tentative evaluation of your transcript, help you select your first classes, and help you develop a customized degree plan. We'll complete your official evaluation in four to six weeks. Additionally, please submit a copy of any industry certifications you may have earned, as these can count toward college credit.

5 Submit your Certificate of Eligibility

If you are using the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®1, send your Certificate of Eligibility to UMUC's Veteran Certification Office by fax to 240-684-2007 or e-mail to Note: Only students using Chapter 33 benefits need to submit a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility.

1 GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Ready to Apply?

Begin Your Application

To speak to an advisor:

Computer Icon Request information

Phone Icon 800-939-UMUC (8682)

About the Application

It's easy to get started with our online application. You can complete your application now, or get started and return later to finish. We'll save your information so you can pick up right where you left off.

Application Fee

After you submit your application for an undergraduate or graduate program, you will be charged a $50 application fee. The application fee for the doctoral program is $100.

Overseas Admissions

UMUC is an accredited online university that serves military students, spouses and family members, and veterans from three divisions—U.S., Asia, and Europe. If you reside overseas, please apply to UMUC Asia or UMUC Europe.

What Happens Next

Once you register for your first classes, check out our Get Started website with an introduction to the online classroom, tips for success, and a checklist to get ready for your first class.