Graduate Partnership Air War College (AWC)
Master of Science in Management (MSM) degree with a specialization in Air and Space Strategic Studies – MSNASP (36 credits)
Air War College (AWC) graduates of the both the nonresident seminar and correspondence programs are eligible. In order for a AWC student to be granted the transfer credits, the student must meet UMUC's criteria for transfer as set forth in the applicable catalog at the time the student requests acceptance of the transferred credits.
Since the AWC program are pass/fail courses and pass equates to a B or better the courses will be brought in as a pass. Since the 15 credits exceed the normal credit transfer limits, students will not be allowed to transfer in credits from other graduate schools.
The program will consist of the following:
Core Courses (15 Credits)
Must be taken at UMUC.
- MGMT 610 Organizational Theory
- MGMT 615 Intercultural Communication & Leadership
- MGMT 640 Financial Decision Making for Managers
- MGMT 650 Statistics for Managerial Decision Making
- MGMT 670 Strategic Management Capstone
*Students can choose to take the following 6-credit seminar instead of taking MGMT 610 and MGMT 615
- MGMT 630 Organizational Theory and Behavior in a Global Environment
- Students must complete 24 credits, including other core requirements, before enrolling in MGMT 670.
- MGMT 640 and MGMT 650 should not be completed simultaneously.
Air and Space Strategic Studies (AWC) Specialization (15 credits)
- Future Conflict Studies
- Strategy, Doctrine and Airpower
- Leadership and Ethics
- International Security Studies
- Joint Warfare Studies
American Council of Education (ACE) recommends up to 27 graduate credit for completing entire program, UMUC agrees to transfer in 15 credits as a track.
Student must take any two courses or 6 credits from the courses listed in the Groups below to complete the required 7 courses in the specialization.
Note: All graduate students must complete UCSP 615 Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC within the first six credits of UMUC course work.
Nonprofit and Association Management Group:
- NPMN 600 Nonprofit and Association Organizations and Issues (3)
- NPMN 660 Strategic Management in Nonprofit Organizations and Associations (3)
Human Resource Management Group:
- HRMD 610 Issues and Practices in Human Resource Management (3)
- HRMD 650 Organizational Development and Change (3)
Project Management Group:
- MRKT 600 Marketing Management (3) and
- MRKT 601 Legal and Ethical Issues in Global Communication (3)
- MRKT 620 Marketing Principles, Regulation, and Ethical Issues (6) *This course is a 6 credit course.
Other noncredit courses are available to students who may need to improve their skills in some key areas. Details about noncredit courses can be found in the Graduate Catalog.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Dual Degree Program:
In accordance with UMUC applicable policies, procedures and requirements, AWC students have the option of pursuing a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree after completing the requirements for the MSM. AWC students wishing to pursue this option should confer with a UMUC academic advisor at the earliest opportunity since the 7-year rule also includes these courses. Students may earn the MBA by completing the following additional coursework:
- DMBA 610 Ethical Leadership in Organizations and Society (6)
- DMBA 620 Effective Financial and Operational Decision Making (6)
- DMBA 630 Marketing and Strategy Management in the Global Marketplace (6)
- Students must meet standard UMUC admission requirements.
- Students must apply for admission. On the admissions application student should indicate they are applying for the Air and Space Strategic Studies (AWC) Track.
- Upon completion of the AWC program, students must send a request form and an official transcript to have the credits posted to the UMUC transcript.
- Along with the Official Transcripts from AWC, student must fill out and submit the Transfer Credit Evaluation Request Form.
- Since 15 credits exceed the normal credit transfer limits accepted by UMUC, no other additional credits may be transferred into the program.
- All requirements established for the completion of the program must be fulfilled within seven consecutive years and include the track seminar or correspondence courses taken with AWC. This requirement cannot be waived.
- UMUC will not accept the transfer of partial credit, i.e. less than 15 credits for this program.
- AWC active duty military are eligible for Maryland in-state graduate tuition at the prevailing rates for the MSM. The rate for the MBA program will be the prevailing tuition as published in the fee schedule. View tuition and fees.
Learn how you can get started at UMUC in five easy steps.
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.