Navy Students - Frequently Asked Questions

Below, you can find answers to the questions most frequently asked by Navy students. Select a question below to find out the answer.

Applying to UMUC


Registration for Classes


Payment of Courses


Course Materials


Taking Courses


Withdrawals from Classes


Student Agreements




Charges and Fees




Other Academic Opportunities


Navy Student FAQs - Answers

How do I apply to UMUC?

Students can apply online at  Note, once the application is submitted an account will be created with UMUC and there will be a $50.00 non-refundable application fee generated.  Students are responsible for paying this fee as soon as possible. Students can make payments online through MyUMUC or calling 800-888-8682.  This phone number can also be used for questions regarding an account balance or student can send an e-mail to

Return to top


What do I need to be fully admitted into UMUC?

To be fully admitted to UMUC, students must submit all official transcripts from previous institutions. To be eligible for the military rate, students must submit documentation showing their current military status and how long they will be in that status. Please see Apply and Get Started for information regarding acceptable military documentation. Please review our UMUC admission pages for details on requirements for undergraduate and graduate admissions. In addition, the $50.00 non-refundable application fee must be paid in full. Students may register and attend courses while finishing their admissions process.

Return to top


Can I start my program at any time?

Application for admission can be done at any time during the year. Classes start at various times during the year.

Return to top


Where can I learn more about placement testing?

All undergraduate UMUC prospective students must take a writing and math placement test.  Students may schedule a placement test through the Testing Center. Students may also look over the placement test Web page for more details.

Return to top


Who is my UMUC academic advisor?

Military students will be assigned to the Military Team. When a student needs assistance with UMUC programs, policies, admissions, courses, requirements, and basic university administrative information they can contact their academic advisor.  If a student has not been assigned an academic advisor they can contact the Military Advising Team at or call 877-275-8682.

Return to top


Will courses from other colleges transfer into UMUC’s partnership degree program?

UMUC will accept up to 45 semester hours in transfer for an AA and 90 semester hours in transfer for a BS.

Return to top


How do I register for classes?

All courses are available through MyUMUC.  All registrations must be done through MyUMUC or by contacting a military advisor for assistance. 

Return to top


Are there any required courses?

For undergraduates, UMUC requires all students to take LIBS 150.  This course must be taken within the student’s first 18 credits of enrollment.  Students must also successfully complete the WRTG 101 course, along with a second writing course (a communications/writing) and an advanced intensive writing requirement.  Mathematic requirements are specific to the program the student is studying.

For graduate school, all students at UMUC are required to take UCSP 615 or UCSP 615A within their first 6 credits.

Return to top


How do I use Tuition Assistance as payment for courses?

After registering for your courses with UMUC students will pay for classes by faxing your tuition assistance and credit card information (credit card number and expiration date) to our finance office at 301-985-7858 or 7502. Your Education Office can provide the appropriate tuition assistance documents for submission to UMUC. Your full payment needs to be received by the due date. Information regarding our monthly payment plan may be obtained by calling Academic Management Services at 800-888-8682.

If you find that you are placed on a waiting list for a class that is full, you may visit the UMUC Waiting List to check your options. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at 800-888-8682 or e-mail us at

Return to top


How do I apply for grants/financial aid?

At UMUC, you will find a variety of financial aid programs to suit your needs—from grants and scholarships (which do not require repayment) to loans (which must be repaid) and work-study programs. A number of factors determine eligibility for these programs, including financial need (as defined by the Department of Education), undergraduate or graduate enrollment, and grade-point average. For further information about any of the programs or to receive a financial aid package, please
e-mail the Financial Aid Office or call 800-888-8682.   

Return to top


How do I order my course materials?

Now that you have registered for your course(s) you will need to purchase your course materials.  UMUC has linked with MBS Direct allowing student’s to purchase their course materials online.  To do this, first log into your MyUMUC portal and follow these step-by-step instructions.  First, select the Student Portal Link located on the upper left hand side of your screen. Once this opens you will need to first confirm your course registrations and determine which course section(s) you have been placed into.  This information will later be needed when selecting the correct course materials for purchase.  To find this information select the My Academics link (again located on the left) and then Registration/Enrollments.   When this section displays you will notice an Order Class Materials link will display.  Select the MBS Direct link, which will then take you directly to UMUC’s MBS site.  Here you can select the icon to Order Books.

Return to top


How will classes be delivered?

UMUC's distance courses link students with their faculty member and fellow students online through the World Wide Web. WebTycho is UMUC's comprehensive Web-based learning resource; it delivers and supports learning opportunities without the constraints of time and place. WebTycho can be accessed anytime from anywhere in the world via the World Wide Web.

Return to top


How do I withdraw from a course?

Students will need to withdraw from courses using the MyUMUC student portal.  Once logged into MyUMUC, simply click on My Academics, Registration/Enrollment and then again select Registration/Enrollment.  The next step is to select which semester you are presently enrolled.  At the bottom, you will want to click on Drop/Update Classes. 

Please note: You may also contact a military advisor for assistance.

Students may want to take into consideration requesting an Incomplete for the course instead of withdrawing.  This will give the student an extension of the time needed to complete coursework.  Note, Incompletes can only be given if 60% of the course has been completed.  In addition, Incompletes can only be granted by the instructor and cannot last longer than 4 months beyond the end of the semester.  A letter grade of "I" will remain on the students’ transcript until the Incomplete is satisfied.  The instructoris responsible for submitting the grade change forcompletion of the Incomplete.  If the process is not resolved after 4 months, the grade will automatically change to an "F."

Return to top


Is there a refund for withdrawing from my class?

If a student withdraws from a course before the first day of class, the course is removed from the registration history and the Navy will not be billed.  However, if the student withdraws from a course on the first day of class or after, there will be a percentage of tuition and the technology fee refunded. Note: Effective Spring 2011, the technology fee is refundable proportionate to the percentage of tuition refunded. Please review the policy regarding refunds for student withdrawals for details and amount of refund.

An example of the refund policy is if a student withdraws from a course within the first 6 days of the semester, after the first day of class, there will be a 75% refund of the tuition cost and technology fee. The remaining 25% of the tuition cost is the responsibility of the student to settle with UMUC.  Students can make payments online through MyUMUC or calling 800-888-8682.  This phone number can also be used for questions regarding an account balance or student can send an e-mail to

Return to top


What is a Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Agreement?

A SOC (Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges) is an agreement between the university and the soldier that will protect your credits and degree program as you transfer from duty station to duty station. It also offers a way to select courses from many colleges within the SOC Network for guaranteed transferability to your UMUC degree plan. Military students who are pursuing an undergraduate degree at UMUC are eligible for a SOCAD agreement. Graduate students and students pursuing only a certificate are not eligible for a SOC agreement. 

Return to top


When do I receive a SOC Agreement?

If you have selected UMUC as your host institution, are pursuing an undergraduate degree plan, and have submitted all required official transcripts from previously attended institutions, all official score reports, and your Joint Services Transcript (JST) document, an official academic evaluation audit–also known as a Degree Audit–will be processed. The SOC agreement is processed following completion of the official audit and is based upon the audit.

Note: if you have not completed at least 24 credits at previously attended collegiate institutions (not including UMUC coursework), you will also need to submit your high school or GED transcript.

Please Note: For relocation students who have already been issued a SOC from Europe or Asia that SOC is still viable and will be honored stateside as long as there has been no 2-year break in enrollment and they are continuing with the same degree plan. We do not issue a new SOC stateside if their overseas SOC is still viable and there has been no change in their degree plan.

Also, updated SOC's are not issued. A new SOC will be issued following the completion of a new audit only when students change their degree plan (different major; adding/deleting optional minor; changing catalog year which changes degree requirements).

Return to top


When will my grades be posted?

UMUC will submit all grades for courses completed within 14 days of the class end date. 

Return to top


Who should I contact if my grades have not posted?

After the 14 days, if a grade has not been posted in MyUMUC, the student needs to contact the instructor to see if they have submitted the grade.  Note, if the student contacts the instructor via e-mail, they can send a courtesy copy to their academic advisor or to as a means of record keeping. 

Return to top


Can I request an Incomplete for a course?

A student may request an Incomplete for a course through their instructor. This is an agreement between the student and the instructor of the course.  This agreement can only be made if 60% of the course has been completed.  In addition, the time allotted to complete the remaining coursework cannot extend past 120 days after the last day of classes.  While the student is working on satisfying the remaining requirements set by the instructor, there will be an "I" posted for the students grade.  If the student does not successfully complete the remain course requirements, or if incomplete goes beyond the 120 day time period, the "I" will automatically switch over to a "F" for the course grade.

Return to top


Why did I get a letter regarding a balance due when I am collecting tuition assistance?

A student could receive a notice via e-mail or US Postal Service for a balance for a number of reasons.  To reduce the chances of this occurring, we strongly suggest students to be proactive in their education by monitoring their accounts.  This can be done through the MyUMUC portal. 

Some of the common issues with balances are fees involving application for admissions, application graduation and transcripts request.  At times, when registering for classes, the tuition assistance applied may not have been enough to cover the cost of the courses.  This may be due to a change in tuition costs which can occur each semester.  A student may also have the wrong dates on their tuition assistance form or the tuition is coming from a previous fiscal year and dates need to be changed.  

For assistance, a student should contact Student Financial Services at 800-888-8682 or e-mail  Also, a student may contact the Military Advising Team for assistance at

Return to top


How do I apply for graduation?

Students may apply for graduation through the MyUMUC student portal.  The student can simply, log into the portal, click on MyAcademics, and then Graduation.  This will start the application process.  Please note that there is a nonrefundable $50 processing fee that will be charged to your UMUC account.

Return to top


How long will it take for me to receive my diploma?

Once all grades are posted and Student Affairs has reviewed each student’s records who have applied for graduations, those who have been cleared for graduation will be outsourced for printing.  The overall process can take a month and a half to two full months to complete.

Return to top


Who should I talk to if I'm interested in Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC)?

Students who are interested in ROTC should contact military advising at 877-275-8682 or