Leadership Development Program (LDP)®
A five-day program designed to help middle- and senior-level managers build the skills needed to translate strategy into effective action
If you are a mid- to senior-level manager, you lead in what is known as the "middle zone." Responsible for leading other managers and/or senior professional staff, you operate up and down the organizational hierarchy, as well as across functions and silos. To achieve results, you must effectively manage people and processes.
Managing from the middle zone is about connecting the strategy with the everyday work. It's a demanding role for you and an essential role for the organization.
The Leadership Development Program (LDP) is designed to address the leadership tensions inherent in leading in the middle zone. LDP helps you to develop the skills and confidence you need to build commitment and translate strategy into effective action.
Who Should Attend
LDP is for experienced managers who work in the "middle zone" of their organizations. They are operational, group or department managers who are responsible for supervising several management-level direct reports. These managers also work with multiple peers, often across functions.
LDP participants learn how to strengthen and refine their fundamental leadership skills—communication, self-awareness, influence, and learning agility—as their roles become more complex and demanding. Participants also focus on two essential competencies for managing the in the middle zone:
- Thinking and acting systemically—understanding the big picture, seeing patterns, and dealing with trade-offs
- Resiliency—effectively managing stress, uncertainty, and setbacks
Comprehensive assessments along with coaching and peer learning groups, ensure LDP participants have a powerful and personal experience that drives results. An organizational business simulation and a wide variety of experiential activities drive home key lessons, providing insight that can be readily applied at work. And two, 45-minute coaching sessions by phone provide extra support and guidance in the weeks and months after the program. Preview the program agenda
By applying the lessons of LDP, managers will be better equipped to handle the tensions and ever-shifting dynamics of leading in the middle zone. They will be able to
- Bridge the gap between senior management and the front line
- Collaborate across the organization
- Manage complexity
- Leverage the experience gained from multiple life roles
- Build resiliency for self and others
- LDP Commuter Tuition - $7,100
- LDP Resident Tuition - $8,100*
* Includes lodging at the UMUC Inn & Conference Center
The National Leadership Institute conducts this program under license from the Center for Creative Leadership.
- June 3–7, 2013
- September 23–27, 2013
- November 18–22, 2013
- December 9–13, 2013
- Comprehensive assessment. Receive an in-depth picture of leadership skills, behaviors and preferences, including a close look at the 12 key competencies needed to succeed as a leader of managers.
- Peer learning groups. In-the-moment feedback from peers provides insight, suggestions and support.
- Practice and application. A business simulation and out-of-classroom experience provide tangible, practical lessons.
- Personal coaching. A half-day session plus two, 45-minute follow-up calls with an NLI coach.
- NLI Program Participant