Maximizing Your Leadership Potential
A Three-Day Program Designed for First-Time Managers and Supervisors
Whether experienced or managing other people for the first time, you know that the shift from successful individual contributor to effective manager can be tricky. As a front-line manager or supervisor, your perspective expands, your responsibilities increase, and your ability to achieve goals requires a whole new level of people skills.
To be an effective leader, you need a solid grip on your own leadership style, strengths and weaknesses—as well as an array of tactics for getting the best performance out of others.
Maximizing Your Leadership Potential addresses your specific leadership challenges and prepares you to achieve results by leading others.
Who Should Attend
Maximizing Your Leadership Potential is for front-line managers who have been recently promoted or are experiencing new pressures in their current management role.
Maximizing Your Leadership Potential provides you with practical steps you can take to strengthen your leadership in the following ways:
- Increase the team's commitment and engagement
- Build sustainable relationships
- Leverage the power of conflict
- Influence others by connecting with their motivations and needs
- Understand others' perspectives
- Provide constructive feedback
How it Works
Organizations struggle to build leadership and management skills among first-level managers, creating numerous challenges throughout the system.
The Maximizing Your Leadership Potential program tailors leader development to the needs of leaders in transition from individual contributor to manager roles.
The program immerses participants in four fundamental areas: self-awareness, learning agility, communication, and influence. In addition, participants work on two skillsets that are particularly challenging for most first-time managers: managing conflict and building relationships.
Throughout this three-day interactive program, managers will focus on specific skills and strategies that they can set in motion right away. They leave the program prepared to drive action by leading others.
- Intense feedback: The most comprehensive assessment of the critical leader skills at this level provides deeply personalized data for feedback and improvement.
- An interactive, hands-on format: Tangible steps and how-to guides prepare participants to take action upon returning to work.
- Take-home tools: Resources are tailored to support newly-enhanced skills of conflict resolution and communication.
- Personal coaching: Participants receive 90 minutes of one-on-one coaching during the classroom session, plus a 45-minute post-classroom coaching call.
Program Costs and Training Location
This three-day program costs $4,200 and is offered at the UMUC Inn and Conference Center, just outside of Washington, D.C., in Adelphi, Maryland. Hotel accommodations are available at the conference center for an additional $600.
Register for Maximizing Your Leadership Potential
What Participants Are Saying
"The National Leadership Institute provided me with insight regarding areas I need to focus on—both personally and professionally."
More About the Program
Preview the program agenda.
Maximizing Your Leadership Potential Sample Agenda
Phase 1: Getting Started
The program experience starts with personal leadership assessments that focus the program to the specific needs of each participant. Often cited as the most valuable aspect of the program experience, the assessment begins several weeks in advance and engages the participant as well as his or her boss, direct reports, and peers.
Phase 2: Face-to-Face: Three Days
Day 1: Self-Awareness and Communication
- Leadership transition lessons
- Leader assessment: Understanding your strengths and development needs
- Leader assessment: Interpersonal needs
- Effective communication
Day 2: Build relationships through influence and constructive responses to conflict
- The role of engagement
- Leveraging influence
- Constructive responses to conflict
- Videotaped practice on managing conflict facilitated by master coaches
Day 3: Taking it Home
- Integration: One-on-one session with a certified coach
- Key leadership challenge plan
- Individual goal development and action plans
Phase 3: Application
After the classroom experience, the National Leadership Institute helps participants apply and sustain their development experience by providing the following:
- Insights and essential tools that first-time managers need to become effective leaders
- One 45-minute follow-on coaching session with your coach
- Access to online training, publications, and tools to continue training via eLearning. These topics are specifically designed to reinforce what you learned in your program. Each eLearning topic includes access to the following:
- eReference Ideas into Action Guidebook
- 45-minute interactive, self-paced course
- Detailed application guide
- On-demand podcast
- Relevant articles and white papers
- Quick reference checklists, tools or job aids
Monday June 8, 2015
Wednesday July 29, 2015
Monday August 24, 2015
Personalized Training Options
The National Leadership Institute conducts this program under license from the Center for Creative Leadership.