Policy 205.06 - Calculation of Grade-Point Average (GPA) for Inclusion on Transcripts
ORIGINATOR: University Registrar and Vice Provost, Student Affairs
SUBJECT: Calculation Of Grade-Point Average (GPA) for Inclusion on Transcripts and Transcript Requests
UMUC conforms to the Board of Regents Policy III-6.00 Policy on Academic Transcripts and Financial Aid Records, approved on January 11, 1990, and issues transcripts in accordance with this Policy.
- Calculation of the GPA
- The unit of credit is the semester hour, which is equivalent to a subject pursued 60 minutes a week for one semester. Most courses carry three semester hours.
- "Resident credit" is credit earned from UMUC. Effective Spring 1992, undergraduate credit awarded through portfolio evaluation in the UMUC EXCEL Through Experiential Learning program, which documents prior learning, is considered resident rather than transfer credit. Only resident credit is included in the calculation of the GPA.
- "Institutional credit" is credit that may not be applied toward graduation, but may be assigned value for purposes of semester load and tuition. Institutional credit is included in the GPA and in determining eligibility for financial aid and veterans educational benefits. Students required to take institutional credit do so in addition to the graduation credit required for the degree.
- Cumulative (not individual semester) GPAs are included on UMUC transcripts.
- The grades of A=4 quality points, B=3 quality points, C=2 quality points, and D=1 quality point are included in computation of the GPA.
- The grades of F=0 and FN(Failure-Non attendance)=0 are also included in the computation of the GPA. The FN grade means a failure in the course because the student has ceased to attend and participate in course assignments and activities. It is assigned when the student ceases to attend class but has not officially withdrawn. The FN grade is treated as an F in calculating the grade-point average.
- The FN grade is assigned:
- When the student registers but never appears.
- When the student did submit some early assignments, as long as s/he totally ceased attendance and participation in the first 60 percent of the semester (see the list below for cutoff points).
- For any other semester or term duration not listed above, assignment of an FN grade will follow the 60% rule stated above.
- The Graduate School does not award the grade of D.
- The grades of P ("passing") and S ("satisfactory") are minimum passing grades and carry credit, but are not included in computation of the GPA. RT ("repeat through transfer") carries credit but is not included in computation of the GPA
- The grades of I ("incomplete"); W ("withdrew"); AUD, T, or AU ("audit"); H (a course taken out of sequence); G (grade pending); and R (a repeated course) carry no credit and are not included in the computation of the GPA
- Except when a course is designated in its catalog course description as repeatable for additional credit, credit is granted only once for the same course and the higher grade is used in determining the
- The GPA is calculated b
- Multiplying the quality-point value of the grade for each course by the number of credits the course carried
- Determining the total number of quality points earned; an
- Dividing the total number of quality points by the number of credits attempted
- GPAs are computed separately for each degree after the first bachelor's degree. Only courses applied toward a second bachelor's degree are computed in the GPA for that degree, even if the student earned a first degree at UMUC; and only courses applied toward a master's degree are computed in the GPA for that degree, even if the student is a graduate of UMUC's School of Undergraduate Studies.
- Transcript Requests
Students who wish to request copies of their UMUC transcript may obtain a UMUC Transcript Request Form from www.umuc.edu or may contact the Office of the Registrar at the last UMUC location from which the students' courses originated. Students from UMUC's Schwäbisch Gmünd may obtain a copy of their transcripts from the UMUC-Adelphi Office of the Registrar.
Please refer to Calendar Timetable to assess specific dates for when the FN Grade is assigned (www.umuc.edu/students/academics/calendar/).
For failure solely based on academic performance or failure including such nonattendance but after the FN cutoff date, the F grade is used.