Policy 366.00 - Third Party Agreements
SUBJECT: Third Party Agreements
UMUC enters into agreements with third parties ("Third Party Agreements"). This Policy provides the process that UMUC employees must use when engaging in discussions which may result in Third Party Agreements, including agreements that will be signed directly by UMUC or through the USM Foundation or the UMUC Foundation.
- Third Party Agreements
Third Party Agreements include agreements, contracts, grants (including grant applications and proposal submissions), memoranda of understanding and memoranda of agreement. They generally result from the following relationships between UMUC and a third party:
Additionally, UMUC may enter into Third Party Agreements with other entities to either perform or receive other services not detailed above.
- Where UMUC purchases or otherwise acquires items, whether or not through procurements;
- When UMUC provides for the sale of items or services, including educational services;
- Work with federal, state or local government agencies through contracts, grants or other agreements; and
- Academic partnerships and collaborations, including articulations with other educational institutions or organizations or teaming agreements.
- Before entering into discussions which may result in a Third Party Agreement, UMUC employees shall obtain authorization from the President, Provost and Chief Academic Officer, Chief Business Officer, Senior Vice President of Overseas Operations, or the Senior Vice President of Partnerships, Marketing, and Enrollment Management, or designee, as applicable.
- General Signature Authority
Generally, employees may not sign agreements that obligate UMUC. The following UMUC employees have signature authority to enter into Third Party Agreements.
- For purchases or other acquisitions, including, but not limited to Procurements, the Assistant Vice President for Procurement and the Assistant Vice President for Strategic Contracting have authority to sign Third Party Agreements which bind UMUC. Additional information regarding procurements and other purchasing of goods is in UMUC Policy 367.00—UMUC Policy on Signature Authority.
- Contracts, including modifications, with a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces for the Overseas Divisions shall be signed by the President or Senior Vice President of Overseas Operations.
- For all other Third Party Agreements, the President, Provost and Chief Academic Officer, Chief Business Officer, Senior Vice President of Overseas Operations, or the Senior Vice President of Partnerships, Marketing, and Enrollment Management, or their designees have the authority to sign on behalf of UMUC.
- Review and Maintenance by Office of Legal Affairs
All Third Party Agreements must be reviewed for legal sufficiency by the Vice President and General Counsel or designee before they can be signed. Once signed, all Third Party Agreements must be sent to the Office of Legal Affairs to be maintained in a contracts database.