Policy 120.10 - Academic Advising
ORIGINATOR: Senior Vice President, Partnerships and Strategic Alliances
SUBJECT: Academic Advising
- UMUC has developed academic advising services in accordance with the Board of Regents Policy III-2.50 Policy on Academic Advising, approved on June 21, 1990. UMUC recognizes that adult learners have unique needs for academic advising. The policy of UMUC is to provide comprehensive advising services at times and locations convenient for adult students with the purpose of creating a world-class student experience. Generally, these services are provided on an individual basis and are conducted by professional advising staff and/or faculty. In order to accommodate UMUC's students who are geographically dispersed, advising services are rendered by phone, email, chat sessions, and/or in face-to-face format. Supplemental advising services and information may be found on UMUC websites and in UMUC written publications. Students are responsible for reading information provided by UMUC.
- A majority of UMUC's students are served by advisors in the Office of Enrollment Management located at the Academic Center in Largo, Maryland. UMUC also offers advising services (as part of the Offices of Community Relations and Military Operations) at several civilian and military locations throughout Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia The UMUC-Europe Student Affairs staff serve students for courses originating from UMUC-Europe. The UMUC-Asia Student Affairs staff serve students for courses originating from UMUC-Asia. All UMUC staff are tasked with creating a student-first environment when offering advising services.
- Completion of official transfer credit evaluations and clearance for degree completion is traditionally conducted by the Office of Student Affairs at UMUC.
- Academic advising is not mandatory; rather, it is available and recommended for every student.
- Academic Advising
All UMUC staff described in Section I.B. above
- Maintain communication to aid students in curriculum planning, course selection, and academic support;
- provide a basic orientation to all UMUC student services, performing administrative functions on behalf of the student, as requested, in accordance with UMUC policy; making referrals, and serving as a liaison for the student, to individual departments as necessary
- provide unofficial and/or the official transfer-credit evaluations of coursework, in accordance with Policy 120.10 Section I.C., required for graduation for undergraduate students and provide the official transfer-credit evaluations of coursework in accordance with Policy 120.10 Section I.C., required for graduation for graduate students.