UMUC Security Office:
Inn and Conference Center Security Office:
Frequently Asked Questions
The UMUC Security Department is your first point of contact for all security and safety related issues at Adelphi , Largo and University Centre. The Security Department is responsible for the safety and security of our employees, students and guests, as well as the assets of UMUC. Security works closely with the University of Maryland Department of Public Safety and all local authorities in maintaining a safe and secure campus.
- Adelphi Inn and Conference Center: Marriott Loss Prevention is staffed 24/7
- Adelphi Administration Building: UMUC Security is staffed Monday-Friday from 7 a.m.–7 p.m.
- Largo: UMUC Security is staffed Monday-Friday from 7 a.m.–10:30 p.m., Saturday from 7 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Security’s Primary Responsibilities:
- Monitor alarm and CCTV systems
- Patrol the buildings, parking lots/garages and surrounding grounds.
- Access control
- Staff and visitor ID badges
- Lost and found
- Personal escorts
- Prevention of accidents
- Document all security concerns, safety violations/hazards and all out of the ordinary occurrences.
Security Responds to:
- All medical and security related issues and emergencies (officers are CPR/First Aid certified)
- Safety and security hazards
- Suspicious activity, persons or mail
- Missing property
- Reports of fire or smoke
- Alarms and distress calls
- Reports of injured or ill guests and employees
Adelphi Inn and Conference Center: 301-985-7371 (ext: 1-7371)
Adelphi Administration Building: 301-985-7911 (ext: 1-7911)
Largo: 240-684-2911 (ext: 2-2911)
EMERGENCY at any location: 911
E-mail questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see Emergency Response Procedures for instructions on how to respond to specific emergency situations.
- In the event of a fire or situation where a full evacuation of a building is necessary the fire alarm will sound or a PA Announcement will be made. All employees must immediately and orderly exit the building via the nearest stairwell and proceed outside. Please see Emergency Response Procedures/Evacuation Policy for exact locations of refuge areas for personnel to gather.
- UMUC has several warning devices in place that will alert employees and students of an emergency situation and instruct them on how to respond. In the event of a natural disaster or other emergency situation where a full-scale evacuation is not recommended, but an urgent alert and message must be conveyed to the employees or UMUC community, the Public Address System and UMUC MyAlerts (text messaging service) will be utilized. Important procedures and precautions will be announced through these systems.
Quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life.
- If you can get out, do so
- Have an escape route and plan in mind
- Evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow
- Leave your belongings behind
- Keep your hands visible
- Follow the instructions of any police officers
- Do not attempt to move wounded people
- Once in a safe place, call 911
- If safe to do so, remain on the line and give the police the best information you can.
- If evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide
- Act quickly and quietly
- Get out of the active shooter’s view
- Secure your hiding place the best you can.
- Turn out the lights and lock the doors
- Barricade the door with a heavy object
- If you can't find a safe room or closet, conceal yourself behind a large object
- Silence your cell phone
- Remain calm
As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active shooter by:
- Acing as aggressively as possible against him/her
- Throwing items and improvising weapons
- Committing to taking the shooter down, no matter what
Adelphi Inn and Conference Center: West loading dock behind the Commons Restaurant
Adelphi Administration Building: Main security desk in the front lobby.
Largo: Room 1101 next to the main security desk in the front lobby of 1616 McCormick Drive
Department Managers/Supervisors or assigned Security Liaisons must officially request keys for their staff through the Security Department. ID Badge and Electronic Key Card requests can be made via e-mail to email@example.com or by calling extension 2-2911. New employees will receive their badges and key cards at orientation. Forms and policies are available on the Facilities Management page on Engage.
Building access is controlled by the Security Department. If you have lost or forgotten your key card, contact security for access. Please be prepared to show identification for access to the office or room you are requesting to have opened. If the office or room is not in an employees approved locking plan, authorization for access must be obtained by a department manger or director.
Marriott Loss Prevention and UMUC Security are available for escorts during their normal operating hours. At Adelphi, Marriott Loss Prevention is available to escort all UMUC staff from either building to and from their vehicles.
If you are traveling across campus:
- Use the Campus Escort Service if you are walking by calling the Campus Police at 301-405-3555. The Police Auxiliary will dispatch an Auxiliary Officer to escort you.
- To arrange for a shuttle ride, contact the Shuttle-UM service at 301-314-CALL or the Night Intra-Campus Transit Express at 301-314-NITE.
- Armed Robbery
- Bomb Threats
- Hazardous Material Alert (Chemical/Biological/
- Evacuation Policy
- Fire Preplanning
- Fire Response
- Hostage Situation
- Medical Emergency
- Other Emergencies
- Police Response
- Responding to an Active Shooter
- Shelter in Place
- Suspicious Letter or Package
- Tornado/Severe Weather