Frequently Asked Questions
The UMUC Security Department is your first point of contact for all security and safety related issues at Adelphi and Largo. The Security Department is responsible for the safety and security of our employees, students and guests, as well as the assets of UMUC. Security works closely with the University of Maryland Department of Public Safety and all local authorities in maintaining a safe and secure campus.
- Adelphi Inn and Conference Center: Marriott Loss Prevention is staffed 24/7
- Adelphi Administration Building: UMUC Security is staffed Monday-Friday from 7 a.m.–7 p.m.
- Largo: UMUC Security is staffed Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Security’s Primary Responsibilities:
- Monitor alarm and CCTV systems
- Patrol the buildings, parking lots/garages and surrounding grounds.
- Access control
- Staff and visitor ID badges
- Lost and found
- Personal escorts
- Prevention of accidents
- Document all security concerns, safety violations/hazards and all out of the ordinary occurrences.
Security Responds to:
- All medical and security related issues and emergencies (officers are CPR/First Aid certified)
- Safety and security hazards
- Suspicious activity, persons or mail
- Missing property
- Reports of fire or smoke
- Alarms and distress calls
- Reports of injured or ill guests and employees
Please see Emergency Preparedness.
Adelphi Inn and Conference Center: West loading dock behind the Commons Restaurant
Adelphi Administration Building: Main security desk in the front lobby.
Largo: Room 1101 next to the main security desk in the front lobby of 1616 McCormick Drive
Department Managers/Supervisors or assigned Security Liaisons must officially request keys for their staff through the Security Department. ID Badge and Electronic Key Card requests can be made via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling extension 2-2911. New employees will receive their badges and key cards at orientation. Forms and policies are available on the Facilities Management page on Engage.
Building access is controlled by the Security Department. If you have lost or forgotten your key card, contact security for access. Please be prepared to show identification for access to the office or room you are requesting to have opened. If the office or room is not in an employees approved locking plan, authorization for access must be obtained by a department manger or director.
Marriott Loss Prevention and UMUC Security are available for escorts during their normal operating hours. At Adelphi, Marriott Loss Prevention is available to escort all UMUC staff from either building to and from their vehicles.
If you are traveling across campus:
- Use the Campus Escort Service if you are walking by calling the Campus Police at 301-405-3555. The Police Auxiliary will dispatch an Auxiliary Officer to escort you.
- To arrange for a shuttle ride, contact the Shuttle-UM service at 301-314-CALL or the Night Intra-Campus Transit Express at 301-314-NITE.
Annual Safety and Security Report
The 2016 Annual Safety and Security Report, which includes information about campus crime and security, drug and alcohol abuse policies, and more, is now available. Download the report.
UMUC Security Office:
Inn and Conference Center Security Office: