Sources of Transfer Credit

At University of Maryland University College, we'll help you fast-track your degree with many ways to transfer credits and earn credit for your professional, military, and volunteer experience. 

Types of Transfer Credit

Credit from Colleges and Universities

When the grade earned was at least C, transfer credits from approved two- and four-year colleges and universities may be accepted for courses that apply to the student's curriculum and do not duplicate other courses for which credit has been awarded.

A total of 70 credits from two-year institutions (junior colleges or community colleges) may be applied toward a bachelor's degree at UMUC.

A student who has already matriculated at UMUC may be granted permission to take lower-level courses at a junior college or a community college before having completed 70 credits at a junior college or a community college. To receive credit for work completed at such institutions, the student must submit a written request to an academic advisor. Such requests must be submitted well ahead of the semester for which the student is registering.

A student who initially enrolled in the public community colleges of Maryland will be admitted to UMUC in conformance with the policy developed and approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission.

Credit for Prior Learning

Our students bring a wealth of learning experiences—from the workplace and community and volunteer activities—to the college classroom. At UMUC, we believe that learning acquired outside of the classroom is valuable and may be eligible for college credit. Successful completion of a portfolio (a written description and a collection of documents that verify your college-level learning) or course-challenge examinations can cut years off of the degree-completion process. Plus, credits awarded through portfolio assessment are evaluated for a fee that is much lower than the cost of tuition. Find out more about Prior Learning.

Credit by Exam

We may award credit by examination toward the bachelor's degree, provided there is no duplication of other academic credit, and the scores presented meet UMUC standards.  

Examinations may include the Excelsior College Examinations (formerly ACT/PEP and Regents), the Advanced Placement examinations administered by the College Board, the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) examinations, and the American College Testing/Proficiency Examination program (ACT/PEP). Credit by examination awarded by other approved institutions will be accepted for courses that appear on an official transcript with a grade of C or better.

Students who have questions about credit by examination are encouraged to consult an advisor.

Advanced Placement

Advanced placement and college credit may be granted to students who enter UMUC directly from a secondary school, on the basis of scores on a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examination. These examinations are normally administered to eligible high school seniors during the May preceding matriculation in college.

A student intending to transfer AP credit that was awarded at another college or similar institution must have a transcript of those scores sent directly to UMUC from the College Board. When those scores have been received, an evaluator will determine whether they meet the standards established at UMUC for granting AP credit and how much credit may be awarded.

College-Level Examinations

Credit may be awarded for general examinations in the College-Level Examination Program. The scores must meet UMUC standards.

We may award credit each for the English examination and the mathematics examination and for the examinations in natural science, social sciences and history, and arts and humanities.

Successful completion of certain subject-area examinations is another way of earning college credit. Advisors can furnish details.

DANTES Examinations

Credit may be awarded for successfully completing certain Subject Standardized Tests of DANTES (formerly known as USAFI). Advisors have information on tests that are acceptable.

Credit for Military Education and Training

UMUC grants credit for study completed in service schools and in Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) on the basis of recommendations made by the American Council on Education (ACE) in its Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Such credit is granted only if it is applicable to the student's chosen curriculum. Ordinarily such credit may not be applied toward the general education requirements. UMUC generally accepts recommendations of ACE for lower-level and upper-level credit. Recommendations made by ACE for vocational or technical credit are considered on the same basis as and with the same limitations as those placed in nonmilitary sources of credit.

Community College of the Air Force

UMUC awards credit for study at technical schools of the U.S. Air Force in accordance with recommendations from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). Credits must be applicable to the student's chosen curriculum at UMUC, must meet other UMUC requirements for transfer credit, and are subject to the limitations described below.

All credit from the CCAF is lower level and is applicable only to freshman and sophomore requirements.

Since the CCAF records satisfactorily completed courses as S (satisfactory) and specifies that S equals a grade of C or better, credit may be applied wherever appropriate in the UMUC curriculum. Courses that are vocational or technical may be used only as electives and only toward the B.S. degree to a maximum of 21 credits.

When a student submits an official CCAF transcript, credits are awarded on the basis of evaluation by the CCAF for courses completed after December 1973.

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges

UMUC is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Consortium, which provides opportunities for men and women in the military services to complete educational programs by means of various modes of instruction scheduled at times appropriate to their duty assignments.

SOCC institutions have also developed a series of common curricula that correspond to Army, Navy, and Marine career specialties and lead to associate's degrees (SOCAD, SOCNAV, and SOCMAR-2 programs) and bachelor's degrees (SOCAD SOCNAV, and SOCMAR-4 programs). SOCC was developed jointly by educational representatives from each of the military services, the U.S. Department of Defense, and 13 of the nation's leading associations of higher education.

Vocational and Technical Credit

Vocational and technical credit from approved institutions or American Council on Education-approved organizations, when applicable, may be accepted as elective credit only. Vocational and technical credit may not be used to satisfy degree requirements such as general education, specialization or distribution requirements. This credit may be applied toward a certificate or degree at UMUC, up to:

  • 6 credits for a certificate
  • 12 credits for an associate's degree
  • 21 credits of related work for a bachelor's degree

Credit for Professional Courses

We'll accept for credit professional (not technical) courses applicable to the student's curriculum that have been evaluated by either ACE (if the courses are listed in The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs or the State University of New York National Program on Non-Collegiate-Sponsored Instruction (if listed in its College Credit Recommendations).

Transfer Credit Requirements

The number of credits you can transfer depends on the degree you're pursuing.

Associate's Degree Students (active-duty military students only)

You can transfer as many as 45 credits toward your associate's degree at UMUC. We accept transfer credits based on your military education, training, and experience from 15 military college partners.

Bachelor's Degree Students

If you've taken courses at a four-year or community college, the credits for those courses may count toward your UMUC bachelor's degree.

You can transfer up to:

  • 70 credits from an approved two-year community college
  • 90 credits from an approved four-year college, university, or other combined sources, including credit by examination, military service, or noncollegiate training

Transfer credits toward your bachelor's degree at UMUC must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be enrolled at UMUC and have successfully completed at least 6 credits.
  • You must have earned a minimum 2.0 grade-point average for all UMUC coursework to receive an official evaluation. If, however, you're a Maryland public community college student and you're enrolled in your final semester (or already earned an associate's degree), you're exempted from this rule.
  • No transfer credit will be awarded without official transcripts.
  • If you're requesting credit for courses from an approved two- or four-year college or university, you must have earned a C or better in those courses.

Master's Degree Students

If you're starting one of the following programs in fall 2016 or later, you may be eligible to transfer exactly 6 credits toward your program if you earned those credits at an approved institution and the course content is equivalent to the introductory course for your program:

  • Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity Management and Policy
  • Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity Technology
  • Master of Business Administration
  • MS in Cybersecurity Management and Policy
  • MS in Cybersecurity Technology
  • MS in Digital Forensics and Cyber Investigation
  • MS in Learning Design and Technology

Fill out a Graduate Transfer Credit Evaluation to find out if your credits may transfer.

If you started your program in summer 2016 or earlier or start any program not listed above in fall 2016

We may accept up to 6 credits toward your graduate degree at UMUC if your credits were earned at an approved institution and the credits are related to your program of study.

We may accept up to 3 graduate transfer credits toward our certificate programs.

We do not accept transfer credits in these programs: cyber security programs (unless you start one of the graduate programs listed above in fall 2016 or later), MBA (unless you start the program in fall 2016 or later), Doctor of Management, or Doctor of Management in Community College Policy and Administration.

Transfer credits toward your graduate degree at UMUC must meet the following criteria:

  • Your credits must have been earned as graduate credit.
  • Your credits must not have been used to meet the requirements for any degree you previously earned or expect to earn.
  • Your credits must have been awarded within the time limit for the degree or certificate.
  • You must have earned a B or better in the courses considered for transfer. These grades, however, will not be included in the calculation of your grade point average at UMUC.
  • Your department advisor and program director must determine your transfer courses are relevant to your program of study.
  • Your credits must have been earned at an approved institution and be equivalent to graduate-level coursework or recommended for graduate-level credit by the American Council on Education.

Contact Me

Apply Now

Or call 800-888-UMUC (8682) to speak directly with an advisor.

Military Students Can Fast-Track a Degree at UMUC

Find out how UMUC's transfer credit policies help military students earn a degree faster.