Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal law requires University of Maryland University College students who apply for and/or receive financial aid to meet the university's requirements for satisfactory academic progress in order to remain eligible for financial aid.

At the conclusion of every spring semester, we assess the academic performance of each student to ensure he or she is making satisfactory academic progress toward completing a degree. You must meet the SAP requirements for the school in which you're enrolled. If you don't meet these requirements, you will not be eligible to continue receiving financial aid.

What Does SAP Stand for?

Overview of 2014-15 Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy


Minimum GPA

Minimum Cumulative Completion Rate for Total Credit Hours Successfully Completed

Maximum Time Frame to Complete Degree Requirements

Undergraduate Student


67% of attempted credit hours

Program must be completed within a time frame no longer than 150% of the published length of the academic program, as measured by credits attempted and including transfer credits. Example: For a 120-credit program, the maximum number of credits attempted by a student cannot exceed 180 credits.

Graduate Student


50% of attempted credit hours

Graduate students must complete their educational programs within a time frame of no longer than 200 percent of the published length of the educational program, as measured by the credits attempted and including transfer credits. For example, a student must complete his or her program before attempting a maximum of 72 credits for a 36 credit program.

Read the complete 2014-15 policy for undergraduates, Financial Aid–Satisfactory Academic Progress–Undergraduate.

Read the complete 2014-15 policy for graduates, Financial Aid–Satisfactory Academic Progress–Graduate.

Where Can I Find Information on SAP?

How to Determine Your Program Completion Rate

To determine your program completion rate, you will need to know the total number of credits you have attempted to take at UMUC and the total number of credits you have successfully completed (including any transfer credits accepted by UMUC). You can find this information by logging into your MyUMUC Student Portal:

  1. Log into Student Center.
  2. Click on My Academics.
  3. Click on View my Unofficial Transcript.
  4. Select Report Type.
  5. Click View Report.
  6. Scroll down to the very bottom to find Credits Attempted and Credits Earned.
  7. To calculate your completion rate, divide the total number of completed credits by the total number of credits attempted:


Examples of Satisfactory Academic Progress Evaluations

Example 1:

An undergraduate student registered for 14 credits in the fall semester and 16 credits in the spring semester during her first year at UMUC. The student withdrew from 6 credits during the fall semester and 6 credits during the spring semester. Thus, she actually completed 18 of 30 attempted credits. The student maintained a 2.5 GPA.

Although this student maintained a 2.5 GPA, she completed only 60 percent of her attempted credits. She does not meet the minimum SAP requirements.

Example 2:

A graduate student registers for 6 credits in both the fall and spring semesters. This student completed 12 of his 12 attempted credits for the previous academic year. He is currently in the fifth consecutive year of his graduate program. In total, he has completed 26 of the 30 credits he has attempted, including the 12 from the previous academic year. His cumulative GPA is 2.9.

This student does not meet the minimum SAP requirements. Graduate students must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA to remain in good academic standing.

Example 3:

An undergraduate student enrolled in 10 credits for the fall and 12 credits for the spring semester. She successfully completed 19 of her 22 credits for the previous academic year. Before, she completed 24 of her attempted 24 credits. Her GPA is 3.6. 

This student is meeting the SAP requirements. She has 93 percent cumulative completion rate and a 3.6 GPA.

Appealing Suspension of Your Financial Aid

Unexpected events can happen in life that may prevent you from successfully completing your coursework as planned. If you have experienced an event that has affected your academic performance, you were placed in Financial Aid Denied Status, you may submit a Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal. Your appeal will be reviewed to confirm if your extenuating circumstance happened within the semester that you failed to meet the minimum SAP requirements.  

Circumstances That May be Eligible for Financial Aid SAP Appeal

Appeals will be considered for circumstances that fall into one of the following four categories:

  1. Personal injury, unexpected illness, physical disability, or victim of a crime
  2. Death or illness of an immediate family member
  3. Separation/divorce
  4. Work-related difficulties or other extenuating circumstances

Please note: If you cannot mathematically regain SAP standards within one semester, your appeal will not be considered.

How to Submit a SAP Appeal

When submitting a Financial Aid SAP appeal, please make sure to include the following:

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form, signed and dated on second page.
  • A signed statement detailing the extenuating circumstance that has affected your academic progress at UMUC.
  • Documentation that supports your claim of an extenuating circumstance (i.e. medical statement from doctor, court documents, police reports, etc.)

UMUC’s Financial Aid Office will not accept or review incomplete appeals. The appeal form and all required documentation must be received by the appropriate filing deadline for each semester. If your appeal is received after the deadline, it will be reviewed for the following semester. 




October 1


March 1


July 1

Appeals may be submitted to the Financial Aid Office via

After your completed appeal is received, a decision will typically be rendered in 10 business days. You will be notified of the outcome by e-mail.  All appeal decisions are final. 

Please note: A SAP appeal is not the same as an academic appeal. If you would like to learn more about academic appeals, visit Exceptions to Course Drop and Withdrawal and Refund Policies.