Better Opportunities Through Online Education
A community-based scholarship program for students in need
Through Better Opportunities Through Online Education (BOTOE), scholars successfully complete a UMUC undergraduate certificate program and develop the knowledge and skills needed to increase their earning potential in today's workplace.
BOTOE is a collaborative venture between UMUC and community-based organizations in the Baltimore–Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. Since 2002, the scholarship program has helped many determined students take a major step toward achieving economic self-sufficiency.
What it Takes to Become a BOTOE Scholar
Effective Immediately: The BOTOE scholarship is no longer accepting new applicants to the program.
This program is designed for new students who have not yet begun their coursework and who:
- Have a full- or part-time job
- Wish to attend a major university
- Have defined goals and expectations
- Earned a high school diploma or GED
- Know how to use a computer and the Internet
- Are willing to accept academic and personal support
- Are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens*
*As defined by the Department of Education and the FAFSA application for applying for federal aid.
BOTOE Provides the Tools Scholars Need
With BOTOE support, scholars are on their way to success. Each scholar receives:
- Admission to UMUC
- A personal computer, printer, and a stipend to assist with Internet costs
- Full tuition, including money for textbooks and supplies
- Access to comprehensive student support services, including academic advising and career counseling
BOTOE scholars take online college courses and pursue an undergraduate certificate. As an online learner, the scholars are able to study whenever and wherever it is convenient, without the limitations of time or place.
Scholars pursue certificates in:
- Business Project Management
- Computer Studies
- Introductory Accounting
- Workplace Communications
For more information, please contact the director of Better Opportunities Through Online Education at UMUC.
General Management Studies
Ready to take advantage of BOTOE? Call today:
This program has been funded by:
- AEGON USA
- Constellation Energy Group
- The Comcast Foundation
- France-Merrick Foundation, Inc.
- Mary and Daniel Loughran Foundation
- Morgan Stanley Foundation
- Verizon Foundation
- UMUC faculty, staff, and alumni